Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 356 aftcabin swim platform davit question

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: Carver 356 aftcabin swim platform davit question

Postby cpoint » April 13th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Elliott wrote:Source of the post I could use your help on two separate counts. The first is easy. How do I post a question or a topic on this site, if I am not replying to anything. I can not find any button that says post new topic, or something like that.
As I am far from my boat, I can not measure this. How high (in inches) is the top of the swim platform from the water.
I am thinking of making my own flip davits and I want to know if it will be too high to pull a boat up sideways.
Thanks

Find the section you want to post to and you will see a button to post to topic, see attached. I pointed with red arrow, to post a new topic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 30th, 2017, 12:57 am

cpoint wrote:Source of the post
Elliott wrote:Source of the post I could use your help on two separate counts. The first is easy. How do I post a question or a topic on this site, if I am not replying to anything. I can not find any button that says post new topic, or something like that.
As I am far from my boat, I can not measure this. How high (in inches) is the top of the swim platform from the water.
I am thinking of making my own flip davits and I want to know if it will be too high to pull a boat up sideways.
Thanks

Find the section you want to post to and you will see a button to post to topic, see attached. I pointed with red arrow, to post a new topic

Eliott,
Sorry I am getting ready to tackle my davit issue, and just noticed I answered your #1, but overlooked #2. In any case if you still need the info, I believe my 356 is 15 iches from water level to top of the swim platform.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 2nd, 2017, 11:49 pm

finally got around looking at the swim platform today. Not bad as I though, I think I can finally finish the davit issue. I am attaching the images of the inside of 356 aft cabin swim platform. You remove the drawer from the back (next to bed), and this is what you see. Granted I can't reach with my arm to plate back the davit that I will be screwing from top of platform, I think I can use a long stick or something. Actually I can put a 2 x 6 x 6 under and just use stainless still screws to drive into the the wood under the platform. Easier then dealing with machine screws and nuts. Anyway I will try to take pictures as I do it and post here if it helps anyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 2nd, 2017, 11:52 pm

Actually I just came up with a brilliant plan in getting this done. I will take step by step pictures of what I do later this week in installing, that may help some one else. :approve:

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 5th, 2017, 10:35 am

By the way, the handle (bottom seen in the above photos) is cracked and water is getting (dripping) inside. Does anyone know a exact size replacement? I checked everything online, can't seem to find one. I guess last resort would be to epoxy if I can't find it.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » July 5th, 2017, 10:39 am

cpoint wrote:Source of the post looks like I had a picture of what I am talking about after all. there are 6 screws in swim platform (shown with red arrow), what are these holding?

Update on this picture. The screws are holding nothing, there is no plate under. They are 1/2 inch screws, just screwed in the platform. Don't even go all the way through. But they allowed the area around the screws to get soft from moisture I guess. Not sure why they were there. Maybe previous owner started on a dinghy davit project and changed their mind :-(

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”