Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel valves on a '96 Aft Cabin

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
williamnugent
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '96 Aft Cabin 35'

Fuel valves on a '96 Aft Cabin

Postby williamnugent » August 12th, 2016, 10:56 am

I am a new member, having purchased a '96 Carver 355 Aft Cabin 3 weeks ago (recently retired after 35 years of chest and cardiac surgery). I'm new to "Big Boating", my only prior experience being a 13' Whaler with a 40 Hp Evenrude.
Learning to drive this thing has been a challenge...
That said, I'm loving the entire experience.

One issue has come up regarding the fuel tanks on my boat. In the buying process, the fuel was turned off to both engines. I topped off both tanks and thought I'd repositioned the fuel valves so that the port engine would be taking fuel from the port tank and so forth for the starboard engine. Now after a couple trips, seems I'm feeding both engines off the starboard tank (starboard at 1/2, port full). Then there's the issue of the "aux" tank, which I know nothing about...
So, how do I set the fuel valves? Do I need to fill the aux tank separately?
What am I missing?
Thanks,
Bill Nugent

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Fuel valves on a '96 Aft Cabin

Postby g36 » August 12th, 2016, 11:59 am

You have one large aux tank under the swim platform a 355 or 356 member will know size etc my 405 has 2 individual aux tanks in the same area. Your fuel selection in the engine room should allow that selection for the engines. Genset probably has a selection of tanKS mine does but it's a different boat. Are you sure your guage is working on the port side? What are you fuel valves set on now? I wouldn't think it would select the stbd tank to draw fuel from only aux as a backup. Tracing the fuel lines will also shed light on this and get you more familiar with your boat. You will fill the aux seperately and on mine and I believe yours also will be on the aft portside outer area of swimplatform wall.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
williamnugent
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '96 Aft Cabin 35'

Postby williamnugent » August 12th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Thanks deckhand...
I believe the fuel guages are working ( at least they were 2 weeks ago when I topped off). I also have 3 fueling ports, one starboard, one port and one aft ( port side of the swim platform) m. I had assumed the aft fueling port was a second access to the port tank to make fueling easier from one side. Apparently not . This must fill the aux tank.
Still not sure I've figured it out, but getting closer. So much to learn...
Bill

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 12th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Yes, the aft fill is for your aux tank. Your generator most likely runs off your port tank with no selector valve.
The two selector valves under the salon sole in front of the generator are for the engines only. If the piping was not altered, they should be pretty self explanatory. Each engine has port, starboard, aux and off setting set the pointer to the tank you wish to draw from.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 12th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Are the valves in front of the port engine? Do you have 2 valves there or 3? Sometimes they use one for each engine plus a crossover valve. If yours has one, make sure it is closed

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”