Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery Drain Conundrum

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
flag400
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Model 326 Aft Cabin

Battery Drain Conundrum

Postby flag400 » September 15th, 2016, 9:15 am

I'm hoping forum members may be able to shed some light on this problem I'm having. The marina mechanic was unable to solve. He installed two brand new batteries on my 2000 326 aft cabin. He advised not to leave the battery charger on while it's docked on shore power for days at a time. When I leave the boat I shut off shore power two switch, and leave one on, with only the three bilge pumps and refrigerator left on. All the other switches in the off position.
Returning several days later my batteries are drained. The mechanic took a reading, one battery was very weak, the second completely drained. He replaced the dead battery and we were off and running. For only about a week or so. I discovered this past Sunday my batteries are dead again. This time I turned on the charger for a couple of days, but no luck, they are still dead. What am I doing wrong? :help:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Battery Drain Conundrum

Postby bud37 » September 15th, 2016, 9:24 am

Check your fridge, maybe just feeding off 12v instead of the 110 when on shore power......shut it off ( make sure it is off....unplug and turn off at panel and inside fridge) there should be no indicator light and take a volt reading at batteries then leave boat and see what happens....its a shot but start somewhere... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 15th, 2016, 9:34 am

If you have a good charger, there should be no issue with leaving it on. The purpose of the charger is to keep your batteries topped off when you aren't running the boat.
As Bud says above, start with the fridge. It will make batteries dead pretty quickly. If you want to leave it on, shut off the 12 volt breaker to it, then even if you loose shore power it wont drain your batteries. I don't keep perishable items in the fridge when we are away from the boat. I don't want to come back to bearded cheese and such.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 15th, 2016, 9:47 am

Where's the charger connected too? Do you have a battery selector switch?is it connected to the batteries or the switch? Maybe your charger isn't working. A volt meter with a clip on amp probe is a great tool to have on a boat easily troubleshoot this.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author
flag400
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby flag400 » September 15th, 2016, 9:55 am

Thanks folks. I'm heading over there in a little while and will shut off the fridge, and try charging the batteries again. I've been meaning to pick up a volt meter too, good advice,
Thanks . . :captain2:

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 15th, 2016, 9:58 am

Actually , if you are turning off all other switches are you turning off the 110 circuits ( wall outlets)....because if your panel is like ours then you are turning off the 110 to the fridge where it is plugged in, forcing it to use 12v side only...quite possible.....can check by watching indicator light in fridge and operating the 12v and 110 switches to see what happens....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 15th, 2016, 7:53 pm

flag400 wrote:Source of the post....The marina mechanic.....advised not to leave the battery charger on while it's docked on shore power for days at a time......

I would understand this logic if it is an older ferroresonant charger as they are notorious for boiling batteries, however the recommendation should not be to shut it off while you're away, it should be to have it replaced with a new tech smart charger so it won't boil the batteries. Leaving it off in your absence means nothing is keeping them charged up if something goes wrong such as springing a leak, and the only thing preventing you from sinking are bilge pumps that are relying on a charger to maintain power until someone notices there's something wrong.

This shouldn't be that hard for a tech to figure out!

Topic author
flag400
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby flag400 » September 15th, 2016, 9:45 pm

OK, Took a reading on the batteries. Battery "A" was 9.2 volts, battery "B" 2.4 volts.
I used a portable starter and was able to get the port side engine running. When I tried to crank the starboard, the port engine shut down.

So, the fridge is off, everything on the panel is shut down, except for Shore One, the three bilge pumps and the battery charger. I will give it a day or so to charge before going back to check on it . . :confused:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 15th, 2016, 11:19 pm

Flag, if these batteries went that low, especially battery 2, I would put a load test on them both before I would trust them to start me up out on the water, even if they come back up to 14V. These "new" batteries may have sat around a couple years before you bought them.

Topic author
flag400
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby flag400 » September 16th, 2016, 7:39 am

That's a good point . . If they don't charge up properly on the boat, I'll pull them out to get a deep cycle charge.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”