Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trim Tabs

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Trim Tabs

Postby bud37 » December 10th, 2017, 11:30 am

gets us wet wrote:Source of the post Ill take a pic but it will be next weekend before Im back up there,meanwhile I have this PC and a world of info so I can do some more research,Thanks guys.It doesn't mater how hard the job is I love working on my boat,Can I get an AMEN

.......so did you get a new system?? If not yet have you considered the Bennett stuff from Florida, works great,nice people and will stand behind their product, you can probably use your wiring and dash controls again,I retrofitted an old instatrim system and worked fine...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » December 16th, 2017, 5:03 pm

I am using the tabs on a regular basis.
When cruising at 3200-3400 rpm's I find that by adjusting the tabs I can pick up an additional knot or two. I believe that when I gain the speed, I am finding the 'sweet spot' on trim. In fact, I am considering a future project involving tab indicators. At hull speed I rarely utilize them.
My suggestion for the purchase of new tabs would be to acquire tabs with a 90 degree 'up' fin on both sides of the tab. (much like we find on airliner wings) I am told by Bennett tech support that this will offer additional support for the unit. This past season I 'bent' my port tab and they suggested that the new design will help mitigate that issue.

Topic author United States of America
gets us wet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1981 33ft mariner,twin 351 windsors

Postby gets us wet » December 17th, 2017, 3:18 pm

I haven't but it's a consideration I'll look into it, would really like to find the proper tabs and Rams though I'm all about keeping things as original as possible when it comes to mechanics, tell me a little more about your retrofit

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”