Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

winterization 1994 390 CPMY/LENGHTY!

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: winterization 1994 390 CPMY/LENGHTY!

Postby cpoint » November 19th, 2016, 12:03 am

well, got the water system winterized, to be on safe side I added 13 gallons into the empty water tank. turned the water pump on and ran through all water outlets hot and cold until pink came out, including swim platform and ice maker (I will be posting other problem regarding ice maker shortly on other posting I have on ice maker). Also put a a gallon through both bathroom flooring to go through pumps below. including kitchen and two sinks and sink above ice maker in back. Pretty sure I covered all, oh yeah heads also, and per your instructions, emptied the hot water tank (drained), which had pink stuff. I did not bypass it though, at this point its empty and what was in there was pink stuff, since I ran quite a bit through it from water tank. I also forced pink stuff from dock supply side with drill pump and got that line winterized. Holding tanks may have a gallon or 2 of water that was in the heads at time, but I flushed at least 2 gallons in each head of pink antifreeze, hoping that should do.

I did not get to AC and generator yet. I will attempt that next. The front AC is missing handle to open close valve from bottom into sea strain, so I need to fix that first. Than I know what to do. The back AC, I could not find the water source (sea strainer), where is the back AC water source? I did not see it under bed or under one of the doors in aft cabin floor.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 19th, 2016, 3:42 am

I would rather be safe than sorry. When I did my freshwater system I first ran out all the water from my two water storage tanks. Then I drained my water heater. I then put in 20 gallons of the pink stuff. I ran it through the cold water lines first then the hot water heater and lines. Could I have done it cheaper yes but I would rather be safe than sorry.

When I was doing it one of my dockmates asked why I bought so much of the pink stuff. I said I believe in overkill. I also pumped out my holding tank and then I ran 2 gallons through the pickup line and into the head and holding tank. For the shower sump I ran 1 gallon through it.

As to the rest I had the marina winterize my engines and AC/heat system. She is on the hard ready for winter. They will repair my transmission once they have finished winterizing all the boats going into storage.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » November 19th, 2016, 5:39 am

cpoint wrote:Source of the post well, got the water system winterized, to be on safe side I added 13 gallons into the empty water tank. turned the water pump on and ran through all water outlets hot and cold until pink came out, including swim platform and ice maker (I will be posting other problem regarding ice maker shortly on other posting I have on ice maker). Also put a a gallon through both bathroom flooring to go through pumps below. including kitchen and two sinks and sink above ice maker in back. Pretty sure I covered all, oh yeah heads also, and per your instructions, emptied the hot water tank (drained), which had pink stuff. I did not bypass it though, at this point its empty and what was in there was pink stuff, since I ran quite a bit through it from water tank. I also forced pink stuff from dock supply side with drill pump and got that line winterized. Holding tanks may have a gallon or 2 of water that was in the heads at time, but I flushed at least 2 gallons in each head of pink antifreeze, hoping that should do.

I did not get to AC and generator yet. I will attempt that next. The front AC is missing handle to open close valve from bottom into sea strain, so I need to fix that first. Than I know what to do. The back AC, I could not find the water source (sea strainer), where is the back AC water source? I did not see it under bed or under one of the doors in aft cabin floor.

Sounds like you got it all! As for the rear A/C strainer, on my 1994, and I would assume on most models our size, the units SHARE a strainer and pump. On my pump I see a "tee" where the source splits to the forward unit and the rear ward unit. Check it out!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 19th, 2016, 8:49 am

Unless you have multiple AC raw water pumps (some larger applications do), all your units will run off the same pump. The raw water goes through the pump and into a manifold that distributes the water to all the units. So if you winterize your system by turning a unit on (you only need to turn one on) and pouring antifreeze into the strainer, it will eventually go through all the AC units. Make sure you see pink coming out of all the AC discharges. Also remember that the AC pump is not self priming so it may not pump by simply pouring liquid into the strainer.

***The only thing that concerns me is that you didn't say you emptied the hot water tank BEFORE you started the process. If that's the case, the tank was full of water which would have diluted the antifreeze (because the tank wasn't by-passed) and I would not trust leaving it in the water lines. If you emptied the HW tank first, then no worries. If my suspicions are correct, I'd be doing the whole thing over again to be safe or at the very least blowing out the entire system.

If the AC seacock handle is missing, I suspect the valve hasn't been moved in some time. If that's the case, it may leak once it's closed. If you're still in the water and the valve leaks, the leak dilute the antifreeze in the strainer and pump, and you'll have to revisit those items to ensure they are safe for the winter. If you get hauled out for the winter, you may be better off waiting 'till then before doing the AC system.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » November 19th, 2016, 10:56 am

Tony and viper thanks. Tony, thats probably the case, I will check it out. Viper, thanks for details as usual :) In regards to hot water tank, yes I had it run through faucets along with cold water as well. And when I ran pink stuff through it , it cam out of hot water faucets in all faaucets. After all that I drained the hat water tank by opening the release valve and got about quart of pink stuf that was in the hot water tank. So I think I am good on that.

In regards to ac strainer, I am afraid that may be the case as well, but is there any other way I could empty it without opening the sea cock? I have drill pump with tiny hose, what If I use that to send to the bottom of sea cock and pump out the wter in it and fill with ante freze? that should work I think.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 19th, 2016, 12:27 pm

If you didn't drain the hot water tank before you started, you're taking a risk.

The strainer has a drain plug under it.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 19th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Cpoint......I don't know if you have one, but a small wet shop vac is almost a necessity doing this stuff....you can suck up water from bilges,strainers,shower sumps and all your plumbing lines including water tank, hot water tank ( water only, no flammable stuff) etc....another thing is you can blow out lines with it as well.....I use one for just these jobs.....that Sea Flush system that Mike has mentioned looked pretty useful also ...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » November 19th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Cpoint, u have got 2 make up a bypass for that hot water tank and then u just drain it. U sure the 2 water lines won't connect to each other? Mine did on our 1998 355 AC. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » November 19th, 2016, 7:21 pm

there is a blue line and there is a red line going into the hotwater tank, I should have taken a picture of it. so are you saying if I open the drain faucet on the hot water tank and pink stuff comes out and finally nothing comes out it's not empty? If it is empty, should I still remove the lines to it? because all my lines now have antefreze, including the line going into hot water tank.

In regards to strainer, I was asking because the handle is missing and I don't want to risk opening/closing and that it does not close tight back. So I thought with shop vac, using a 1/4 hose put it all the way to bottom where the outside valve is and suck the water out, then fill the strainer and the hose heading to valve with antefreze? Not sure I am explaining it correcly?

I know the proper way would be to blowout the air from sea cock by briefly opeining the sea cock. And yes I have a shop vac, matter of fact got one that can blow out, as my old one did not.

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Cpoint, u have got 2 make up a bypass for that hot water tank and then u just drain it. U sure the 2 water lines won't connect to each other? Mine did on our 1998 355 AC. Mike

Mike I will look to see if I can bypass when I go back to it.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 19th, 2016, 11:01 pm

You need a coupler fitting to connect the two hoses together. Sounds like the lines you have are Whale which usually incorporate quick connect fittings. This fitting will hook up to connect both the blue and red lines together. http://www.stevestonmarine.com/pressurized-water-system-tubing-fittings/Whale-Equal-Straight-15Mm-WX1504B

Or you can install one of the kits with valves on the market to by-pass the tank and never worry about removing the hoses again.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”