Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

winterization 1994 390 CPMY/LENGHTY!

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Re: winterization 1994 390 CPMY/LENGHTY!

Postby cpoint » November 24th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Actually I am not going to put it off to spring, I plan on getting them replaced now. I am going to check the others to make sure which ones are bad, so I can replace them all at same time.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 24th, 2016, 7:03 pm

If you're in salt water, I recommend getting them all done at the same time. Ensure they are all bonded and from then on, exercise them on a regular basis. This would be the time to decide what you want to do with that overboard discharge that you're not allowed to use. Leaving it in will present a winterizing challenge every year even if you're not using it.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » November 24th, 2016, 11:40 pm

viper that's a good point. I will decide on that.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 25th, 2016, 6:58 am

You mentioned that you wanted to keep the option available for possible future use. To do this semi-permanently, you could have them just remove the faulty valve and cap the thru-hull fitting. Disconnect the wiring at the macerator. Disconnect the plumbing at the tank or Y valve for this system and ensure any plumbing left from the tank is uphill from the tank so that no waste can accumulate in the line during the season. This way you won't ever have to worry about winterizing that circuit. Flush the lines and pump, then cap off the ends so that you don't get any odours. Anyone that wants to put the system back in service just has to reverse the process and add a seacock. With the wiring disconnected at the pump, you should disconnect the wiring at the breaker as well or just disconnect at the breaker and leave the macerator hooked up.

Depending on the layout, this probably isn't as complicated as it sounds.

United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » November 27th, 2016, 11:19 pm

I am a this time thinking permanently closing it of. I have at least 2 sea cocks that are leaking (not completely shutting off), so I can't winterize those lines. I got it scheduled to be fixed this week, so at same time I am Thinking I may have them remove the plug the hole. One less hole to deal with in future and one less to deal with winterizing. I get it pumped out anyway, no need for the line.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » December 31st, 2016, 4:33 pm

Went to visit the old girl and she is wrapped up tight and they forgot the door in the wrap. I was mainly interested in getting inside to see if they drained all the water in the bilge. What do you think if there were a couple of inches of standing water in there? Should be plenty of room to expand without doing any damage?

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » December 31st, 2016, 8:27 pm

Well I would think so, but I would have cut the wrap and checked. If the plug was pulled and the boat was blocked correctly it should have drained I would think. You could buy a door on line and a roll of tape and put the door on urself, you then keep the door and reuse it next year. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”