Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver replacement parts

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Carver replacement parts

Postby Wayne162 » October 27th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Following hurricane Matthew I was finally able to assess the storm damage on my 405 and found that hurricane Matthew left town with my portside polycarbonate panels and aluminum corner piece on the Aft sundeck. While appreciative of the low damage level I would like to replace the missing panels and the corner piece is needed to hold everything together. Any ideas where a mariner can locate carver parts not available any longer by carver? Any help appreciated.
Pictures depict the part I need for the port side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Carver replacement parts

Postby mjk1040 » October 28th, 2016, 4:53 am

You'll most likely have to find a repair place to make u new panels. I've seen some older Carver Aft Cabins here in NY that had canvas panels replaced with the hard panels like that and they look like they were original. I don't think they had the corner pieces on them, but they had rap around corners. You may have to have the entire panel replaced if you want them to match. I'm surprised Carver couldn't tell you what vendor made them original panels, but maybe a repair shop can, keep looking. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 28th, 2016, 6:57 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post....I'm surprised Carver couldn't tell you what vendor made them original panels....

I agree. They should be able to give you a part number and the manufacturer info for that corner piece. A good plastics supplier/fabricator can cut the plastic panels you need. It's best to supply them with the good one you have so they can duplicate one exactly the same in a mirror image if needed. I've have this done a few times. If you can't get an aluminum corner, ask the plastics people about fabricating one out of plastic, it'll likely be cheaper than having one custom aluminum one made.

You'll also need the nylon drive rivets and spacers. Carver should be able to help you there too. In fact, they may still carry these items. If they don't, the plastics supplier should be able to help with the spacers and there are several suppliers for the rivets. A Carver dealer should have some as this is a pretty common repair. I get mine from Fastenal up here but I'm sure there are many suppliers south of the boarder. You'll just need to confirm size and colour. The panels are pure white so you'll need to ensure the anchors are too as there are off-white ones out there. Insert the rivet and tap the head down to secure it. While you're at it, check the ones you still have, you may find some loose or broken and needing replacement, pretty typical. Here's what you're looking for....
http://www.plasticsplusltd.com/sheet-stock/fibreglass-frp-panels/frp-rivet

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » October 28th, 2016, 11:52 am

Thank ya'll,
You have been very helpful. My check with Carver on the panels and corner met with negative results. This was Carvers response "These parts were made by a different company and we have no info on them anymore. They threw out the dies and jigs to make these".

As for the nylon drive rivets and spacers, a prior owner had replaced various rivets with Stainless bolts on the starboard side. They were what held during the hurricane. All panels lost were primarily held with rivets. I lost spacers and have inquired with Carver. Thanks for the link Viper as another option. I am looking at McMaster-Carr for 4x8 sheets of UV polycarbonate to cut my own panel from a stencil I will use from the starboard side. I think I am going to fashion a transom door at the steps of the sundeck with 3/4 PVC panels I will cap with extra polycarbonate material from the repair I have to do. Thanks again.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » July 12th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Update - Still tying to find panels for the sundeck. Working with a local shop to make the sundeck panels but the problem now is they can only get 8' panels for stock material and the original panel length was longer. A second check with Carver (Pat) provided a different answer they now provided previous manufacturers of the part (See below). I have sent emails out waiting for a reply if they are still available. If that fails I have to get creative as I want to stay close to original especially since I had the corners re-manufactured.

We purchased this from multiple vendors. I will list them all.

PART- 8540500 PLX:1/4" WHITE 51X100"

-------------------VENDOR----------------------------------
PART NO. NAME PHONE
PLX:1/4" WHITE (48"X MIDLAND PLASTICS 800-678-0870

1010 CUSTM WHT CADILLAC PLASTIC & CHEMIC 800-274-1000

ACS10121903355 TOTAL PLASTICS INT'L 269-344-0009

:usa:

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » November 22nd, 2017, 10:30 pm

Update - My sundeck panels have been made and are ready to be installed after the holiday. I gave up on the poly panels and went with custom marine grade aluminum panels (Cost less), and powder coated them to match the boats existing shade of white. I replaced the original single stripe at the base of the panels as it was dated and boring. Instead I decided to spice her up a bit with a custom wave design using black and gold-leaf graphics. I also tinted the salon and galley windows with 5% tint with 100% UV protection for full side and forward viewing without having a snap down cover across the front windows. Attached are photo's of the new sun deck panels with graphics that were applied to the panels today. When I get them installed on the boat, I will post additional photographs of my project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 23rd, 2017, 3:18 am

Looks great.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » November 23rd, 2017, 7:44 am

Thanks Rick.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 23rd, 2017, 10:34 am

Looks good....nice touch with the graphics........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » November 23rd, 2017, 7:53 pm

Thanks bud37.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”