Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Raw water intake

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
notaryjon
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Santego 2767

Raw water intake

Postby notaryjon » December 28th, 2016, 1:02 pm

I have a new to me 1987 Santego 27ft. that has 2 intakes I don't know where they go. One is about in the middle of the boat and one is in the engine compartment that hooks to a pump but don't know for what.

Also I have one engine down right now and it has the power steering pump on it so I have zero steering. Wheel just spins. Reading this forum I see hynautic steering talked about but I don't know if thats what I have since I have a ps pump on the engine.
Any ideas would be great. I can't get to the boat until spring but need to this worked out in my head. And parts ordered.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Raw water intake

Postby Viper » December 28th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard.

The intake that leads to a pump could be a raw water washdown. The other could be for the head/toilet. Other possibilities if applicable would be generator intake, air conditioning intake, and overboard discharge.

Is this an inboard or does it have sterndrives?

Topic author
notaryjon
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby notaryjon » December 29th, 2016, 1:39 am

Thank you for helping with my questions.

The boat has 2 V6 Mercruiser sterndrives. I have read about people having to be towed in if they loose the engine with the ps pump. I am thinking (and hoping) thats the problem but after looking at the forum I am not sure.

I hope someone knows for sure.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 29th, 2016, 6:40 am

It'll be more difficult to steer but you should still be able to if the pump fails as these steering systems are typically run by a cable from the helm to a hydraulic assist steering cylinder at the transom assembly. Unless your steering system is ALL hydraulic (I don't think it is), if the wheel is free spinning, you may have a broken helm gear or cable. Did you check to see if there is fluid in the pump?

Topic author
notaryjon
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby notaryjon » December 29th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Viper , Yes there is fluid in the pump. It makes sense about a broken gear or cable. The previous owner didn't mention it could not be steered when I bought it. I guess I will have to add it to the list of things to repair. Any ideas where to find parts?
Thank you for your time. :worthy:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » December 29th, 2016, 2:33 pm

I'm sure you can use a Seastar/Teleflex cable or helm but you'll need to get some numbers off the unit you have. You'll need to find out what type of helm it is ie; rack or rotary. For the cable length, there should be a number stamped on the cable at the helm or cylinder end. The last set of numbers will give you the length in inches. If you can't see any numbers, your best bet is to remove the cable if that's the fault, and measure the length. Any Seastar dealer should be able to get you the parts needed or if you know what you need, a retailer should be able to do the same like West Marine or any one of the on-line suppliers.

When you turn the wheel, that cable should move in and out. If it doesn't, your next step is to find out if the fault is the helm or the cable.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”