Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Spare parts List

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Spare parts List

Postby dsolo » January 3rd, 2017, 12:39 pm

Having searched and not finding a topic on spare parts to carry while cruising I will ask the question today. If I have missed the subject in existing postings please direct me to the post.

My boating experience has been limited to day boating or one or two night trips. My previous boat was a 24' Searay Sundancer. It would be hard pressed to call it a overnight-er. Today we own a 405 MY and plan on spending summers cruising the Great Lakes. Being new to the boat, this summer we plan short trips from our home port. (Onekama, Michigan) We hope to get familiar with the boat and work out any maintenance issues it may have. There are limited maintenance records. The boat is a 1997, I know this is critical when considering spare parts,

This brings me to ask the forum for recommendations on what spares to carry on board. I am not use to having a vessel with the systems the 405 has. Any recommendations with explanation would be helpful. I have a list of systems below:

Power (gas, twin Crusaders) I have fuel filters, impellars on board now
Electrical/Electronics
generator
Pressurized Fresh Water
Sanitation systems
Air Conditioning
Anchorage

Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciated the knowledge and sharing the forum provides.
Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Spare parts List

Postby g36 » January 3rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

I also have a 97 405 how long will you be away from port etc I keep a lot of stuff on mine but a lot of what bought was for my initial 490 mile trip when I purchased it. Not being able to wait for parts order to be delivered.Everything is easy to get. Mostly now fuel filters belts 1 set for engine and genset. Plugs for gen and like you stated impellers for everything. Fuel pump relay A few other things fuses for your electronics spare pump for shower or galley sump pump make sure you watch both of the sumps for proper opration.you need to stay up on this you'll see why if you dont. Some platic plumbing parts incase something starts leaking. A set of joker valves for the vacuflush .Really depends on how far you want to go. Personal preference but I think you have the important stuff
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » January 3rd, 2017, 8:23 pm

Spare props. Shop and buy them cheap on ebay or a marine outlet store. You will eventually need to replace one especially if you like early spring boating, and msrp on a new prop will floor you.

Other than that, duct tape, wire ties, an assortment of tapered wooden plugs, an assortment of all stainless steel hose clamps, shop towels.

And tools.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 3rd, 2017, 8:34 pm

It really depends on how far and how long you like to run. If you only run for a day or two a Boat Us unlimited towing card is all you need. Fix it in the comfort of your slip.
That being said, I always carry four spare fuel filters and an impeller for each engine and the genny. Due to a through hull transducer coming loose and almost sinking my boat about twenty years ago, and being 65 miles off shore when a friends boat dropped a rudder into 2500 feet of water, I carry various sized wood bung plugs and a mallet. Haven't ever used them and hope never to (we did use his, saved our lives most likely, definitely saved the boat).
Other than that, a good multi meter, misc wire and connectors, misc hose pieces, oil, anti freeze, tranny fluid and some basic hand tools including a good flashlight.

If you run long cruises with great distances between ports, you could add a thousand pounds and a couple thousand dollars of spare parts pretty quickly.

Tom

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » January 4th, 2017, 8:59 am

+1 to all above.

Spare hoses are a must for me to carry in the "belt box". I went to Napa and got 2 universal hoses that matched the ID of my main cooling hoses to the water pump. Duck tape - you can do an emergency repair with duck tape on almost anything. I also carry a tube of Sikaflex and a piece of starboard - Sikaflex cures underwater and you could fix a hull breach from the outside in should you need to in an emergency.

With twin engines, you have redundancy to get you home. The only thing that would put you in the true meaning of "peril" would be things like running gear (preventable for the MOST part), and hull breaches. Get back to your slip (a slip) and fix your boat properly and in the safety of you moorage.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » January 6th, 2017, 9:18 am

Thanks to everyone for the responses. All suggestions make sense. I will start compiling my list from your input and get ready for spring. Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » January 6th, 2017, 12:35 pm

One quick question on electrical components. Does anyone recommend carrying fuses,relays, or breakers? I do not want to overstock but if someone has history of electrical component failures for a 20 year vessel, i am all ears...

Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 6th, 2017, 10:05 pm

If you boat has fuses, yes always carry spares. I believe I have a couple spare breakers in my electrical box, but I don't believe this is required. If you have a failed breaker you could always switch the load to another breaker for temporary use. Relays? how many different types does your boat have? Can you stock a one size fits all? If not, the one that fails will be the one you don't have!

You can't be prepared for everything without your water line being about a foot below where it should be. Just make certain you have everything you need to keep you and your crew safe. Anything other than the persons aboard can be repaired or replaced later.
:beergood:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”