Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Headliner Replacement - Stretch Vinyl System

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
mwrich
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Trojan 440 Express Cruiser - Cummins 450C's - "The Big Woo"

Headliner Replacement - Stretch Vinyl System

Postby mwrich » February 23rd, 2017, 4:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have a Trojan 440 Express Cruiser (model year 2000) that I purchased in 2012. My wife and I have been all through the Chesapeake, Outer Banks, and the Abacos in her. Fine vessel, a little wet in a rough sea.

With 17 years on her since new we're replacing the seats in the cockpit and have decided to replace the headliner in the saloon. I ripped out the old stuff, bought new vinyl and track, and found it to be harder to replace than it looks. That is perhaps the understatement of the century. I simply don't know the "tricks" to make it work and after ruining a couple of panels and cussing like a sailor, decided I need some help.

Does anyone know of a person in the Southeast that is an expert on replacing this type of headliner? I will either take the boat to them or pay them to come to me (including room and board as needed).

Alternatively, has anyone on this forum successfully replaced their own stretch vinyl headliner in their boat? If so, would you mind sharing the secrets?

Thanks in advance for the help. We love the 440. It's a bunch of fun and we can't find anything close in terms of the saloon size to replace her with.

Best

Mark
:help:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Headliner Replacement - Stretch Vinyl System

Postby Viper » February 23rd, 2017, 4:44 pm

I've done a couple of older Trojan Tri Cabins as well as some other brands and the one thing that pops to mind more than anything else is the inside temperature. The hotter it is within reason to be working in, the better the job will turn out. The vinyl will stretch out better the warmer it is. As it cools it will contract a bit and get a little tighter making for a better fit.

If you're going to use staples, use stainless steel ones. If you're using any glues, make sure they are a premium quality that will not bleed through the material. Check the space and look for venting so you get some air movement behind the vinyl in places where the vinyl isn't glued directly to the ceiling. This will help minimize mold growth that you will not know is there once you cover things up.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 23rd, 2017, 8:28 pm

Welcome we have a great forum here with lots of great folks. I had a trojan f32 before my carver. I know carver had trojan at one time can't remember t h e years right now. I am still a member of trojanboats.net the forum there is also a great resource. Nobody get mad at me but you may also inquire there it's also a very active forum full of info and good people. Just trying to help I sure don't want to steer you away from us here. Best wishes
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Renovatio
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466

Postby Renovatio » July 22nd, 2019, 1:43 pm

Hi Larry Renovatio from New York
I’m having a problem with the Carver head liner in both the guest state room and the salon
I’m getting prices from 3000 to 20,000 did you have your headliner done ,
Do you mind me asking about what did it cost you and did you get the name of anybody that might be up north in New York

Larry

United States of America
cguild45
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 530 Voyager. Homeported in Coronado, CA.

Postby cguild45 » February 1st, 2021, 1:18 am

I have a '99 530 Voyager. All the headliners in the below decks staterooms are sagging. I know of another here in the San Diego area with the same problem. Is this common to the 530 and does anyone know of a good fix? Chris

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 1st, 2021, 8:56 am

In some applications, the vinyl is glued directly to the ceiling, not easy to re-cover. Some ceilings however are made up of sectional removable panels, these are much easier to re-cover. If they're removable panels and you don't see any fasteners, they likely snap in place and removal requires a firm pull. If this is the case, they usually use plastic retainers which you'll probably have to replace before reinstalling the panels. If the headliner is clean and in good shape, you can remove, stretch out and re-glue or staple the headliner in place. Whether you glue or staple will depend on a couple of factors such as the material you're covering, you can't staple fiberglass. Check the couple of tips noted above.

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Postby Carpediem » February 1st, 2021, 11:06 pm

cguild45 wrote:Source of the post I have a '99 530 Voyager. All the headliners in the below decks staterooms are sagging. I know of another here in the San Diego area with the same problem. Is this common to the 530 and does anyone know of a good fix? Chris

We were looking for a 53 Voyager before the 506 fell into our lap. We were going to look at the 98 Voyager in San Diego that is advertised but the pics show that it si quite rough and it needs a lot of headliner work too. The 506 is in goof shape but in time will need a little headliner TLC.
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”