Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Mariner 350 Exhaust leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Mariner 350 Exhaust leak

Postby SanJuanDreamer » February 27th, 2017, 4:21 pm

I have 98 Mainer 350 and I found water is leaking in through the screws of the exhaust seal.
Where the exhaust matches to the hull, there are 5 though-hull nut and bolts connecting the seal to the hull.
It seems a screws at the bottom are leaking.

Just wondering if any of you ran in to this issue and what did you do?
Plan A is remove the bottom screws.
Find a way to gently lift the rubber seal from the hull and squirt 5200 between the hull and exhaust seal, then replace screws.

Plan B disconnect the exhaust seal from the muffler, then remove the muffler.
Remove the exhaust seal from the hull.
Remove all that 5200 and clean up area and reset it.

If you have a Mariner 350, you know there is barley room in the engine compartment, removing the exhaust seal without removing the muffler can lead to a problem if it doesn’t go as plan.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Mariner 350 Exhaust leak

Postby mjk1040 » February 27th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Plan B is ur best bet, and do both exhaust. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » February 27th, 2017, 10:50 pm

I know this is a big ask but some pics of this process would be great to see.

Thanks and Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate

Postby SanJuanDreamer » March 1st, 2017, 11:14 pm

Just thought of Plan C...
Remove the 5 screws, remove as much 5200 as possible and use a jack to push the muffle towards the exhaust outlet.
This setup should push the exhaust outlet out from the hull just enough to get access to the repair area.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 2nd, 2017, 9:59 am

Seems to me you might want to careful prying with a lot of force.....if the sealant used by Carver was 5200 it will be extremely difficult to separate the parts and some of the parts could be fibreglass or plastic. I can't say this with any certainty but I just have this mental image of a cracked part leaking worse after you are done.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 2nd, 2017, 10:17 am

Actually a question....why not just remove and reseal the offending screws and nuts and call it a day.....there should be no coring below the water line I am led to believe....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate

Postby SanJuanDreamer » March 2nd, 2017, 1:05 pm

That's Plan A...which I'm not opposed too, just want the best fix.
I know some good boat mechanics, I'm going to send pictures with an explanation this coming Sunday, see where it goes from there...

TonyC
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby TonyC » March 5th, 2017, 10:46 am

We have the same boat but can't recall about the same motors. You are correct that there is not a lot of space to work in. Consequently, at 6'2", I would be inclined to complete the job as reasonably as possible within acceptable limits.

Our boats are coming on 20 years old. During this time, mechanical systems become "comfortable" with their configuration. My concern about your Plan C is that the jacking to move the exhaust, while it may work as you want, could cause undue stress somewhere else in the system creating a new problem. Therefore, I'd consider as a last resort.

Your Plans A and B are basically the same but instead of working on a single screw, your are maintaining all of them. Back to my first statement, there is not a lot of room to work in. Additionally, the amount of water that passes through the exhaust is more of a stream where the lower screws are most exposed to the effects of the water and more likely to leak. Considering the working space and the likelihood that only the lower screws may have a problem, I'd be inclined to make repairs to those that are and likely to leak ... Plan A.

I'd definitely check the other side for signs of seeping or leaking and make similar repairs. Next weekend I'm tackling our starboard rudder stuffing box as it was leaking this past Summer. While the port box was dry, I'm replacing the flax also.

Let us know how the job goes!

Tony

SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate

Postby SanJuanDreamer » March 7th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Here are some pictures of the problem......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 7th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Well after seeing the pic I think you might have to bite the bullet and take it all apart and repair properly..in the long run it would be best, when you get the muffler out of there there will be a lot more room, just don't get a leg cramp :censored: ......interesting the sealant on the outside of the boat is not stained but on the inside it appears to have a rusty looking stain from more area than just the fasteners..... :beergood:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”