Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Window Replacement - 300 aft cabin

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Acornelk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 300 aft cabin

Window Replacement - 300 aft cabin

Postby Acornelk » March 4th, 2017, 1:50 pm

New member. Trying to find where I can find replacement aft-cabin side windows for 1993 300 aft cabin. Water is entering into cabin through window frames and are one piece units. Any help appreciated. :banghead:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Window Replacement - 300 aft cabin

Postby tomschauer » March 4th, 2017, 2:25 pm

The water is most likely coming in around the window frames which is fairly common with these older boats. You should remove, clean and reset the frames with 4200 or 5200 sealant. You may also find mold and mildew in the foam under the vinyl from the leakage as I did. You will want to replace the foam and vinyl as well. Not expensive, but takes some time.

Good luck.

Topic author Canada
Acornelk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Acornelk » March 4th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Thanks Tomschauer. The water entering thru both side windows only stopped after I siliconed both windows solid. All water off aft deck runs down directly onto windows. Poor design. Will be removing windows before spring and repairing/replacing/resealing all affected. Have to replace some wood, etc. inside as well. Bought boat couple years ago and appears had been starting to leak before then. Had window repair guy look at windows and was told windows are one piece units and have to be replaced as such. I know the felt seals in the sliders are bad from age. If actual windows turn out as problem and need replacing, are replacements available or am I looking at custom replacement? Thanks.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 4th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Sorry, I don't know if replacements are available. I am sure someone will chime in if they have a source.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 4th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Welcome aboard. TaylorMade is the supplier to several brands. You can contact them and send an email with a picture or contact Carver with your hull number and they will give you a part number and the company that made the unit. If you look close, you may see some info etched in the glass at one of the corners. Are your windows sliders? If so, check and ensure the bottom of the window track is clean as well as the drain on the aft outside corner. If it's full of crud, it will leak inside instead of draining overboard. If it's leaking from behind the frame, then you'll need to remove the complete assembly and re-bed the unit back in place. Simply caulking around the outside of the frame won't last long.

Topic author Canada
Acornelk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Acornelk » March 4th, 2017, 10:36 pm

Thanks for info Viper. I will follow up.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » March 5th, 2017, 7:58 am

Fwiw-silicone is a lousy caulk.
When re-bedding use a marine caulk
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author Canada
Acornelk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Acornelk » January 26th, 2024, 5:59 pm

Back to aft cabin window install on 300 after many years of boat parked in big shop. Windows were removed from frames after frames removed from boat. All necessary repairs, painting , etc. for boat and frames was complete and am ready to rebed the window frames in place. I need to install the screens, fixed panes and sliders in proper positions in frames now but am having problems remembering this after several years since disassembled. Would anyone have pictures or directions of where these glass components fit properly in the frames? It is for a 94 300 aft cabin. Thank you.

United States of America
boh50
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby boh50 » February 7th, 2024, 12:21 pm

Have you tried reaching out to any marine supply stores or boat salvage yards?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 7th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Source of the post Back to aft cabin window install on 300 after many years of boat parked in big shop. Windows were removed from frames after frames removed from boat. All necessary repairs, painting , etc. for boat and frames was complete and am ready to rebed the window frames in place. I need to install the screens, fixed panes and sliders in proper positions in frames now but am having problems remembering this after several years since disassembled. Would anyone have pictures or directions of where these glass components fit properly in the frames? It is for a 94 300 aft cabin. Thank you.[/quote]
You should try and post pics of what you're dealing with, as other models might have similar setups that other members have dealt with.

If you're just talking about the two panes of glass, then typically the inner pane is the most-aft (or the most-aft should be the inner pane).

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”