Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prop scan scheduled for Carver 405

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Prop scan scheduled for Carver 405

Postby km1125 » March 12th, 2017, 5:26 pm

The other benefit you get if you get them scanned now is that you get a baseline. If it's not out of tolerance you don't have to do anything, but at least you know where you stand.

If you EVER have damage down the road, you can bring that prop (or even a new or used prop) back to them and have them match it to your original specs.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » March 12th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am a firm believer in risk management, 34 years of producing medical electronics. I will pull the props and establish a baseline. I will provide an update as things progress.
Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 12th, 2017, 8:22 pm

The prop shops up my way make regular runs to marinas for prop pick ups and drop offs. Ask them if they pick up regularly at a marina close to you and find out if you can drop them off there or hook up with their driver at a mutually agreed upon location during one of their regular regional runs.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 12th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post The prop shops up my way make regular runs to marinas for prop pick ups and drop offs. Ask them if they pick up regularly at a marina close to you and find out if you can drop them off there or hook up with their driver at a mutually agreed upon location during one of their regular regional runs.

Agreed, same process here. The local prop shops make regular rounds to area marinas or are on call. Will pick up and drop off.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » March 13th, 2017, 10:02 am

Holland Propeller is considered the best on the west side of Michigan. They have experience with Carver's and they have invited me to go through the initial scan. They are located in one of the highest marina slip areas in Michigan. It's worth the drive.

The other thing influencing my choice is I have little confidence in my marina making good vendor choices.
Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 13th, 2017, 11:01 am

dsolo wrote:Source of the post Holland Propeller is considered the best on the west side of Michigan. They have experience with Carver's and they have invited me to go through the initial scan. They are located in one of the highest marina slip areas in Michigan. It's worth the drive.

The other thing influencing my choice is I have little confidence in my marina making good vendor choices.
Dan

Good idea , you will learn something when you are there and come home with a much better understanding of things....lets us know how it turns out....... :approve:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » March 13th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Viper, I have looked at struts and bearings and found them in good condition. No chips or voids and shafts are centered. I am following your input on recommended maintenance for a new boat owner. The props are just one of those steps.

Not sure how to dial the shaft and check alignment? Boat is on dry supports, can you measure alignment with these stresses? I was waiting until after launch to check engine alignment. I don't have any experience in these processes so maybe a mechanic/tech should be summons?

Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 13th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Dialing the shafts is just that, a dial indicator is used to check if the shaft is true. This is done by putting the dial up against the shaft and rotating the shaft to see if it is true. It most definitely can be done on land. While it won't be as accurate as removing and taking it into the machine shop to be measured, it's a starting point to determine if indeed they need to be removed and checked closer. I like taking a measurement in 2-3 locations on the shaft.

When I talk about checking shaft alignment at the strut and stern tube, it's a visual inspection to determine if the shaft is centered in the strut bearing or is it slightly off to one side and crushing the bearing there. Is the shaft going through the center of the stern tube as it goes into the hull? This sets you up to confirm the gear outside is set up properly before checking shaft to engine alignment. Shaft to engine alignment is a different animal, and while you should check the above to eliminate that part of the equation while it's out of the water ('cause you can't see it after it's launched), FINAL shaft to engine alignment/check should only be done in the water after the hull settles for 1-2 days, longer if the vessel has been sitting on land for a few years IMO.

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » March 13th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Viper, ok got it. I have the dial indicator, I will pick up a adjustable holder. What allowable deflection?
Is there a secret to rotating the shafts?

I have checked the bearing in both the struts and stern support. They look good. Shafts are visually centered.

Your questions regarding the performance of the vessel. Actually the drive trains sound and feel good. Very smooth acceleration, no rough spots and shafts have no concerning vibrations.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 13th, 2017, 9:51 pm

If no vibrations and running smoothly....remind me again why we are checking runout of the shafts?

Sounds to me like you need to do some boating my friend and quickly. You have a very bad case of off-season-itis,
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”