Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prop scan scheduled for Carver 405

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Prop scan scheduled for Carver 405

Postby Viper » March 22nd, 2017, 7:19 am

Thanks for the follow up dsolo. Good job :clap:

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » March 22nd, 2017, 1:19 pm

You correct Viper. Nice to know the possible answer to that vibration found in the survey. I inspected the strut and aft support bearings quit closely. Found the shafts centered and with good contact with the bearings. Bearing material looked good. Shafts hand turn with a little force on the prop blades. It appears all the shaft supports are aligned. Will have the shaft run-out measurements done this week. Once boat is in the water a couple days will get a reading on the engine alignment.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 22nd, 2017, 3:59 pm

Good to see you got that sorted out.....now its hard to tell but looking at the pic of the prop, it almost looks like some pitting and some evidence of corrosion.......how do your anodes look ?, check them,you are in fresh water so they should not be zinc. Did the prop guy say anything about that??....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Postby dsolo » March 22nd, 2017, 5:16 pm

Good observation. The props were acid washed and they did not rinse them very well. No pitting, just acid etching. won't let them do that again.
As far as the zinc anodes go, they were doing nothing, they look brand new except for the acid wash residue. I have change them out with new aluminum per the recommendation from this forum.

On another note, the boat's WOT of 34mph is not as I had stated. The captain who helped with the survey (owner could not attend) and my trip to home port after the survey corrected me. It is 29 mph at 4600 rpms. My 34 mpg is my 240 searay with a 350 I/O and 2300 hours. I hope the performance with new props improves that number.

I did talk to both Carver and Michigan Wheel about getting more responsiveness at idle. I mentioned cupping and both parties strongly recommend not doing it. I have taken their advice. I would still like to get more bit on those windy days. Maybe the new props will help??
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 22nd, 2017, 5:44 pm

aha.......new props huh..good stuff...well make sure to change all the anodes so they are all the same material to protect those new expensive shiny babies..... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
clawfirm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: "The Claw Firm". 1999 Carver 406 Aft cabin.

Postby clawfirm » August 27th, 2018, 6:24 pm

OK, these numbers are making me seriously question our "new" boat. We just recently bought a 1999 406 Aft Cabin with twin 7.4 Mercruisers. My wife and I usually just put around anyway, but we have throttled it up a time or two, and our boat won't RPM much over 3k and our top speed is only about 15mph per the GPS. Performance-wise, it really seems to basically top out at about 2,800 RPM at about 15 mph (after adjusting the planes). Above that is just seems like adding more throttle doesn't produce anything.

The boat has been in the water for about 3 years, but was always used regularly. It seems to run smooth. Starts right up. Idles well. But I have NEVER seen 20 mph... let alone 20+ or anywhere near 30mph. I understand that there are about a million factors that can effect performance, but any immediate red flags here that I might look into?

Thanks ahead of time for your help, everyone!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 27th, 2018, 6:43 pm

How fast are you going at 1500-1600 rpm ?

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 27th, 2018, 11:02 pm

What props are on your boat? Your survey will probably mention this. It's probably not a prop problem I posted on your other post .my 405 has 22x20 4 blade I think without looking again. I am reaching correct rpms. If yours are same you should be ok there. Thinking you have another issue.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 28th, 2018, 7:51 am

The boat speed at that rpm is a good indicator of what is fitted to the boat in case the actual prop size is not known.....Imo the three years in would be more of an issue.....never know what grows in different areas of the country.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”