Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prop scan scheduled for Carver 405

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders
Name: La Belle ll

Re: Prop scan scheduled for Carver 405

Postby dsolo » March 13th, 2017, 9:55 pm

It may be I gave up booze for Lent?
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
Portage Point Inn & Marina, Onekema, Mi
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 13th, 2017, 10:07 pm

On the shaft to engine alignment, anything more than a .003" deflection is unacceptable. Any more deflection than that anywhere on the shaft will only exaggerate the alignment at the engine.

You'll need a short stand of some sort to get the dial up to the higher part of the shaft where there is typically nothing to clamp a dial on to. While you have the props off, try to dial the taper of the shaft. It may be a challenge if you can't get a usable surface with no key-way. If not, try to get a clear area by the threads that the dial probe can ride on. Easier to dial the shaft with the prop on and use the prop to turn the shaft. With the prop off, you can use a rubber strap wrench to turn the shaft or insert the key and use an adjustable wrench against the key to turn the shaft. Make sure you clean the areas you're going to dial before proceeding.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 13th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post If no vibrations and running smoothly....remind me again why we are checking runout of the shafts?...

I guess one could say that what you don't know won't hurt you but we all know that's not true. Just because you can't feel anything, doesn't mean everything is okay. The way I see it, your running gear is mechanically connected to your tranny and your engine, if not turning true, it's common sense to expect higher than normal stress on bearings, seals, etc. For the little effort it takes as a new owner or if you've had the vessel for a while and just never thought of checking this while on land, I think its a healthy practice, vibration or not. Sometimes with the engines running and the vessel underway, it's not always easy to pick up a minor running gear problem. And when you're new to a boat, you have no baseline for its feel or sounds, so it can be assumed that what you feel and the sounds you hear are normal for that vessel. I rest much easier knowing my gear is running smoothly as measured rather than relying on whether I can hear/feel it or not.

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » March 14th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Having no experience with inboards I assumed a typical I/O prop pull. WRONG! After a couple pulls and taps with a mallet I realized things are different. Jumped on the web and found prop pullers. Checked the marina and they have one but do not lend it out. Too dangerous. I asked if they can pull them. They put me in the Q. Have no idea on timing. So I need help selecting a puller for a 1 3/8" 4 blade prop. Any input would be appreciated.
Dan
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 14th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Also, be advised that there is a method to reinstalling the prop. It is not just a matter of silding the prop on the shaft and over the key way. You have to lap the shaft with lapping compound so that the prop sits properly in its taper. There is a method for lapping a shaft. You may want to further investigate this before attempting this if you have never done it.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 14th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

dsolo
First Mate
First Mate
454 EFI Crusaders

Postby dsolo » March 15th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Thank you Lyndon670 for the excellent information. There is always more to a subject than meets the eye. I got word today the Marina will have my props off for Saturday pickup. The scan will take place early next week.
dsolo
Vessel "LaBelle"
1997 Carver 405 MY
454 EFI Crusaders

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » March 15th, 2017, 1:49 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post Also, be advised that there is a method to reinstalling the prop. It is not just a matter of silding the prop on the shaft and over the key way. You have to lap the shaft with lapping compound so that the prop sits properly in its taper. There is a method for lapping a shaft. You may want to further investigate this before attempting this if you have never done it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought lapping was only required when new or if the prop and/or shaft was replaced and now required to be lapped (adjusted) once more. As an example, a damaged prop removed for repair and reinstalled does not require lapping.

As for a puller on a 4 blade. I used a standard 2 leg bearing puller with a battery operated impact wrench. Took no time at all to remove both props. Puller looked like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Jaw-Puller-3- ... 7~&vxp=mtr

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 15th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Good to know about the puller on 4 blade......tried one of those I have and would not work on three blade...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 15th, 2017, 3:42 pm

No, always lap a prop. It never goes on the same way it came off. Pitting in the shaft taper is common, so the lapping ensures proper taper to prop adjustment. Many marinas will skip this step, and for the amount of boating we do in this part of the Northern Hemisphere - it probably would last.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”