Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Refrigerator replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Tennessee River Rat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 Aft Cabin 480 Volvo's
2007 Meridian 341 with 6.2 MPI Horizon Mercruiser Engines
1988 Sea Ray 340 with Twin 454's
1987 Stratos with 200 HP Merc

Refrigerator replacement

Postby Tennessee River Rat » March 14th, 2017, 9:22 am

We have not been able to find anyone to fix our refrigerator and Marvel has said they have been discontinued. Has anyone found a replacement for the this refrigerator? It is a stacked freezer/refrigerator unit, and the freezer runs great! This is in our 2001 - 506 aft cabin.

Aquayacht Harbor's tech worked on it and refilled with whatever type freon they use now, which lasted a few days, and he could not find the leak. I understand that if there is any moisture introduced it can destroy the heat exchange and compressor. So I think we need to replace.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Re: Refrigerator replacement

Postby SplashyLady » March 14th, 2017, 10:41 am

Normally the stacked frig/freezer do not use separate compressors, so it seems strange that the freezer works but not the frig? Most times the frig is cooled by a vent/connection from the freezer, with the cooling coils located in the freezer or tied directly to the freezer first, then to the frig. A 2001 boat should use the more modern refrigerant, not R22 that you can no longer get...

Anyway - frig sizes on boats are pretty standard. You should be able to find a similar sized unit from Norcold or another source. Do you need AC/DC or can you get by with just AC? Measure the size of your unit and you will likely find a close replacement out there. You can use a household unit if you only need AC and save a pile 'o money. :down: If you need AC/DC you will be stuck with a marine/RV specific unit and the price goes up and up...

Also, you may want to check a marine salvage/overstock company and see if they have a replacement. Marine Connection in Florida is not too far from you - call them up and see if they have a replacement. They are nice folks and helpful - but they will need your model number and size. Check them out at: http://www.themarineconnection.net/
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 14th, 2017, 6:36 pm

The ones on your boat are completely seperate AC uints. They are not connected, one only sits on top of the other. I have the identical boat.

Although my fridge and freezer are still working perfectly (our season is very short, these units are only powered up about 7 months a year), I have looked at replacing mine. You can go to Home Depot and find a fridge to fit, I have measured and looked at the options. The marine ones are way overpriced. I looked at very nice Samsung unit for about $1300 that fit almost prefectly.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author United States of America
Tennessee River Rat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 Aft Cabin 480 Volvo's
2007 Meridian 341 with 6.2 MPI Horizon Mercruiser Engines
1988 Sea Ray 340 with Twin 454's
1987 Stratos with 200 HP Merc

Postby Tennessee River Rat » March 15th, 2017, 4:35 pm

I was pretty sure they were separate. I am going to pull out this weekend and see if it can be repaired, If not I will have to look at total replacement. Living on board with out a full size fridge is a real pain. I am starting to give some thought as to how I will remove old unit from boat and get new one in. I am going to measure the wing door openings to see if it will fit thru it, as I see no way to go out the aft door with it.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 15th, 2017, 4:53 pm

It will fit through no problem. I have measured it. it is a few inches narrower than the sliding door.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 15th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Source of the post....You can go to Home Depot and find a fridge to fit....The marine ones are way overpriced. I looked at very nice Samsung unit for about $1300 that fit almost prefectly.

Are your units not AC/DC? If so, are you giving up the DC option or do you have an inverter on board anyway? If no inverter, I wouldn't give up the DC option IMO but that's my boating preference.

The marine units are more expensive than a comparable household unit because of the AC/DC option and the auto switching feature. Other than that and perhaps a few material upgrades in some brands, they're just another refrigerator. Perhaps the biggest influence in the price though is simply a matter of supply and demand. In the grand scheme of refrigeration production, the marine and RV markets represent a fraction in comparison to household model production, hence the higher price tag.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 16th, 2017, 11:41 am

Marine units also usually have more insulation and higher capacity refrigeration systems to overcome the higher ambient temperatures these units usually operate in. Not to mention sealed and corrosion proof circuit boards, connectors etc. If you always have ac current available and either live in a moderate climate or have your a/c on, no worries about a home unit in your boat. If not, you will find that when your cabin hits 110 degrees plus, your refrigerator/ freezer will not keep the desired temp, as most are designed for 90 degrees ambient.
A personal choice, of course.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 16th, 2017, 2:51 pm

One thing to add to toms post there, would be ,if you are going to use household rated appliances on your boat, please make sure they are grounded properly, get them checked by marine electrician first......neutral wire use can be different...most may be just fine but check to be safe....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » March 16th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Our units are only AC. There is no issue using a household appliance on these AC systems. Marquis is using Fridgidaire on their models as new and there is no difference. My Microwave is a GE, as is my coffee maker. My boat was bought new in 2002 and cruised to Toronto where it sat until March of 2014 when I bought it. Was only used as a cottage, hence the 270hrs it had on it when I bought it. Everything is original except the microwave as it died on its way home.

I am all for things rated "marine" where necessary. But beyond that, there is no necessity in a galley. The domestic ones are much bigger, quiter and a third of the price. I can replace my with a quality one from any appliance store 3 times to before I have paid the price of a "marine" one.

The washer/dryer on my boat is a Mabler - it is OE and is not "marine rated" - it is straight out of the appliance store to Carver and then into the boat.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 16th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Here is a link that explains this waaay better than I ever could.....not saying they aren't safe just check to be sure, if wiring is ok then good to go........

http://www.passagemaker.com/articles/te ... nsformers/
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”