Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trim Tab Brace

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Re: Trim Tab Brace

Postby SplashyLady » March 17th, 2017, 9:44 am

Wow - learn something every day! :worthy: I knew Tabman would have the answer - not a FUBAR after all. Thanks to all for teaching the old guy a new trick.
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » March 17th, 2017, 9:54 am

Tabman wrote:Source of the post Yup, it is a Tab Retention Device, RD1. And it should be able to slide and take the load of the Actuator when backing down. They are very effective at preventing damage or even having a Tab come of when backing down hard.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Learned something new today! :worthy: I figured that was somebody's Rube setup, but it makes sense now. Old dog can learn a new trick... :down:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 17th, 2017, 1:15 pm

I learned something also. I was quick to write it off as someone's half ass fix.

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Postby DanM » March 22nd, 2017, 11:27 am

Viper, thanks for the detailed explanation. I have those as well and have been wondering what they were for. Nice engineering idea to prevent damage to the trim tab actuators. It always impresses me to see forethought solutions incorporated into a design that the average boater would not think of nor look for.
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » April 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm

Tab Man et al. This post is 2 years old but I found it extremely helpful. I purchased my 2006 Carver 44 CMY in June 2017. I went on a two week trip across Georgian Bay, from Port Severn to Tobermory, Killarney, Bai Fine and return. When I was on plane I found that I could not get enough bow down to get the ass end of the boat up and out of the water. I figured dinghy weight and/or fuel in the auxiliary tanks was to blame. I spoke to a number of folks with Carvers to get there perspective on this. Just didn't think I was getting enough planing speed with the RPM's I was pushing out. :banghead:

When I took the boat out of the water in the fall, I removed the trim tabs to clean them up and sand blast them, as they were all gummed up with some kind of primer coating and corrosion. I am also having the chord extended on the tabs by 2.5 inches to give me more lift. I saw these brackets on the trim tabs that extend from the actuator transom mount down to the trim tab hinge. Had no idea what they were for. They were rely gummed up as well.

In preparation for splash day, I called Bennett Marine today to get a part number for new trim tab hinges and pins. I asked him (Jeff) if he knew what these brackets were for and he thought they were a lanyard to support the tabs when reversing in sport fishing. Now I had an idea what they did, but now I need to know how they work, so I googled trim tab lanyard and read an article from the Tab Man who helped someone stop losing his trim tabs with these Retention Brackets (RD001).

This then brought me to this post, where I confirmed what they were and how they are supposed to move when in proper operation. Guess what, mine do not slide, nor do they move. There is no doubt in my mind that my trim tabs where not fully extending to give me enough bow down because the retention brackets were seized and preventing them from moving downward. I can only get about 15 degrees out of them.

Now I need to decide, do I clean them up and ensure the bolt/nut allow movement, or do I just remove them because I do not sport fish or do high speed reversing.

I just thought that I would thank those who took the time to respond to this post, as I think it was of great benefit to me in figuring out what's what with my boat. :worthy: Maybe my story will help someone else and I can pay it forward.

Cheers to those that helped. :beergood:

Tireless

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 2nd, 2019, 7:46 pm

Have to say I have never bent any tabs backing down on a 2 pound walleye.... :lol: .....but that said ( sorry )...if they were interfering with the tab down movement then I would clean up the slide mechanism and try it on the hard to make sure it works, see if you can get it working with full range, if so leave it as it serves a purpose. The important thing is you need full range for the efficient operation.

Lots of boats without them not suffering any issues I think, take a wander around the yard and have a look......just my opinion of course.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 2nd, 2019, 8:15 pm

I would clean them up and try to get them working properly. The size of the tab will have an impact on the amount of water it pushes in reverse. A large tab can push a lot of water especially in a diesel application. Might also help with other conditions such as getting loaded with weeds, pushing a floating log, etc. Always best to have more stability than not enough when it's really needed.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » April 4th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Viper nailed it.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 5th, 2019, 5:15 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post Viper nailed it.

He usually does. A great resource for this forum.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 5th, 2019, 5:26 am

It is with sad news I must announce that Tabman (Tom) passed last December. He was the encyclopedia of tabs all over the web who was not only part of this site but many many more. One of the most helpful and knowledgable people on boating forums. RIP. :-(
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”