Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trim Tab Brace

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
taildrgr
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396 Motor Yacht

Trim Tab Brace

Postby taildrgr » March 16th, 2017, 4:11 pm

I just bought a 2005 Carver 396 Motor Yacht. When we pulled it out for the survey, I found both trim tabs to have a metal brace on them as shown in the picture. No one in the yard knew why they were there.
Does anyone have any experience with these braces? They do not slide, but at bolted tight.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Re: Trim Tab Brace

Postby SplashyLady » March 16th, 2017, 5:18 pm

FUBAR! Bennett Marine (Tom Marloe) will probably reply to you message, but it looks like the hydraulics were shot, so they stuck the tabs into one position so they would not flop around. :up: Good news is that Bennett Marine has great customer service - contact them and they will get you straight. Info@BennettTrimTabs.com
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 16th, 2017, 5:22 pm

That definitely make the tabs immovable!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 16th, 2017, 5:23 pm

your surveyor thought they were some kind of support and are meant to be there, please find a new surveyor.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 16th, 2017, 7:43 pm

I've seen these a few times. It's a tab retention device. It takes the downward load off the actuator when the vessel is in reverse as I understand it. At that time, the water forces the tab down past the point you have set it at. Eventually, the ram in the actuator will bottom out, the bracket acts as a stop so that it takes the load instead of the actuator. When properly adjusted, it is supposed to slide then bottom out at the same time the actuator does.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 16th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Ok, looking closer I see its two pieces and could slide. But if you had the mid position bolt tight enough that the tab couldn't push down while backing, how the heck would the electric actuator be able to move it any time up or down?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 17th, 2017, 7:43 am

The fastener in the slot should be just tight enough so that it allows the unit to slide but prevent slop between the two pieces of the bracket. You can see in the picture that the actuator is nearly fully extended and you can see the slot visible in the top bracket indicating that the retainer is nearly bottomed out.

You don't see these very often on pleasure craft but fishing charter vessels that require reversing at a much higher rpm than we typically do usually have these because of the pressure the water exerts on the actuators. When you revere, the water wants to push the tab down. Since you're only fighting spring tension in the actuator when it is not all the way down, the water will push the tab down until the ram bottoms out on the spring in the actuator. At that point, all the load on the tab is being transferred to the bottom of the actuator casing. The bracket relieves this load off the actuator. The only thing that prevents the tab from moving past the point you set it at unless it's all the way down is spring tension. You can push the tab down with one hand so imagine how much pressure the water would put on it at a decent rpm over the entire surface of the tab. I imagine the spring in the actuator is only designed to handle a little backward pressure for maneuvering while taking into consideration the weight of the tab and force required to push all the fluid out of the actuator once the valve opens during a retraction cycle.

PS, this is not and electric tab, it's a hydraulic one.

Midnight Sun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 41 CMY D6 370's

Postby Midnight Sun » March 17th, 2017, 8:04 am

Mine are set up the same way. Look closely at the nut and you will notice it is of the is of the self locking variety and must not be tightened down fully allowing the brace to extend and retract. Obviously something added to later model year tabs. Vipers explanation a couple of post up makes perfect sense as to its purpose.

Tabman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Tabman » March 17th, 2017, 8:35 am

Yup, it is a Tab Retention Device, RD1. And it should be able to slide and take the load of the Actuator when backing down. They are very effective at preventing damage or even having a Tab come of when backing down hard.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Topic author United States of America
taildrgr
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396 Motor Yacht

Postby taildrgr » March 17th, 2017, 9:35 am

Thanks for the replies. The nut on the brace is tight. I looked at the brace carefully to see if there were slide marks but there were none. Definitely locked in place. At next haul out I will loosen it a bit and test the actuators. Surveyor thought the braces were tight due to a failed actuator. Have to haul it out for new bottom paint in May so I will get it looked at then. Thanks again for the comments.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”