Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shafts and Props paint

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Shafts and Props paint

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 26th, 2017, 2:27 pm

1984 390 CPMY (We LOVE our Carver!) What are y'all using on the stainless steel shafts and NIBRAL props as paint for growth protection? I am in raw (salt) water 6 months, have 3 shaft zincs on the shafts and no corrosion issues. I have been advised to use Cold Galvanizing paint, Pettit spray something or other, etc. I have also been told use antifouling copper paint, however, I believe we would only hasten corrosion problems.

Anyway, THE question is now live, so help please?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Shafts and Props paint

Postby tomschauer » March 27th, 2017, 1:03 am

Tony, I am in the upper Chesapeake brackish water and my shafts are bare with no issue.
I would think you could use anti fouling paint, but keep back a bit from the cutlass. But I am not sure how will it would stick to the stainless

noelrock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410SS

Postby noelrock » March 27th, 2017, 7:05 am

I just finished cleaning mine the best I can. I was going to try the Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier 1792 on the Props and the Shaft.

Prop.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
jcoll
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 355 Motor yacht

Postby jcoll » March 27th, 2017, 9:31 pm

That's exactly what I was doing this weekend!! Lots of fun there. I've used the Pettit Barnacle Barrier paint for the last 2 years. The boat sits in Fairley Creek and it has a lot of growth potential there. It's worked well for me. I try to move the boat as much as possible even if it's just short trips. I think that helps to keep it clean. I do get about a 1MPH drop in performance toward the end of season but I can live with that. After haul out and bottom washing there really is not much barnacle scrapping to do. I'd recommend it.

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » March 28th, 2017, 11:27 am

I use the pettit barnacle barrier too and it works well in salt water. The trick is to move the boat. I'm not sure anything works for a boat that sits most of the time.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 28th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I saw the Pettit Barnacle Barrier and I bought some today. Pricey stuff, I guess they are pretty proud of it? :censored:

United States of America
throwback2
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 28 Voyager,twin small blocks,1991 Shamrock,350 Chevy now.
1973 Atlantic Craft 15, 2004 2 smoke Merc 40,
and a few other water toys

Postby throwback2 » March 29th, 2017, 11:29 am

Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound spray paint is the same stuff just a lot cheaper.

Canada
pikaman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 390, 1993, CPMY, twin crusaders, full awning model.

Postby pikaman » May 18th, 2017, 1:00 pm

hi guys just thinking about the shafts...my marine service guy told me never paint the shafts ever. the reason for this is if you ever have to replace or service the shaft, you would need to scrape any coatings completely off to slid it back out of the cutlass bearings supprting the shaft. Very time consuming and frustrating and worse if you have to pay $100 per hour to someone to do it for you. As for the wheels I have heard it both ways. Some say antifouling will set up unforseen corrosion issues elswhere.
my two cents.
pikaman

CarverChris
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 2987 Monterey, twin screws and loving life

Postby CarverChris » May 31st, 2017, 11:30 am

http://www.antifoulingpaint.net/

Velox is what I use. You must follow the instructions and the primer is necessary. It is VERY expensive but does a great job of keeping props clean. It is around $60 for .25 liter can of paint. The small can has been enough for 3 coats. I do not use it on the shafts.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”