Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Main Front Window Weather Stripping Repalcement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Main Front Window Weather Stripping Repalcement

Postby bud37 » May 30th, 2017, 6:47 pm

You can call Carver Yachts, parts with your hull # , explain the part to Pat and see what they have, maybe they can give you a part number for whoever made it in the first place. Actually on the Carver Yachts website, under owners is a drop down box with some choices, manuals ,parts and such......just follow thru with your year and model and pick thru it....lots of info...I just did the same for my windshield screw covers that had shrunk like crazy........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

TonyC
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby TonyC » June 1st, 2017, 11:18 am

bud37,
bud37 wrote:Source of the post You can call Carver Yachts, parts with your hull # , explain the part to Pat and see what they have, maybe they can give you a part number for whoever made it in the first place. Actually on the Carver Yachts website, under owners is a drop down box with some choices, manuals ,parts and such......just follow thru with your year and model and pick thru it....lots of info...I just did the same for my windshield screw covers that had shrunk like crazy........ :beergood:

By wndshield screw covers are you referring to the black foam strip at the base of the windshield? If yes, mine is also shrinking and I suspect that it may be the source of rain water pooling on the dashboard. I obtained a piece of black foam pipe insulation, cut it to fit the space and inserted. Look good from a distance. If the rain water is comming from the gaps, hopefully this fix will take care of the problem. Supposed to rain this weekend so I'll find out.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 1st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Yes the screw cover is the one at the base of the windshield on the outside. Actually mine is a sort of plastic ( amazing it could shrink that much, maybe 3" to 4" per side) on the front sections ( each section about 6'), it has a specific shape and is stuck in with two sided tape.....the covers on the sides appear to be some kind of foam, definitely different from the front and have not shrunk.The part numbers are different as well.....I am going to order the correct stuff for the front and clean the channel and remove each screw and reseal them.....we will see.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » June 1st, 2017, 3:35 pm

I did the same, bought pipe insulation from HomeDepot, cut replaced what was there.
That was last year, already went through winter and still looks good.
My first try was using a more stiff insulation, it didn't look right and it didn't last long, so I used a softer insulation...

TonyC
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby TonyC » June 2nd, 2017, 9:34 am

SanJuanDreamer wrote:Source of the post I did the same, bought pipe insulation from HomeDepot, cut replaced what was there.
That was last year, already went through winter and still looks good.
My first try was using a more stiff insulation, it didn't look right and it didn't last long, so I used a softer insulation...

Prior to replacing, did you have pooling of water on dashboard after a moderate to heavy rain?

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Postby SanJuanDreamer » June 5th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Tony C, yes, there was pooling on my dash, lost a good wagonner book to it.
Since replacing the foam, I cant recall seeing it pool again.
Good idea to pull the screws and reseal.

Canada
Finest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Mariner 350
Twin 350 Crusader Engines

Postby Finest » May 2nd, 2018, 8:41 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Yes the screw cover is the one at the base of the windshield on the outside. Actually mine is a sort of plastic ( amazing it could shrink that much, maybe 3" to 4" per side) on the front sections ( each section about 6'), it has a specific shape and is stuck in with two sided tape.....the covers on the sides appear to be some kind of foam, definitely different from the front and have not shrunk.The part numbers are different as well.....I am going to order the correct stuff for the front and clean the channel and remove each screw and reseal them.....we will see.....

I also have the 350 mariner and am having the same problem with water pooling on the dashboard. Do you have the part numbers for the screw cover?

Canada
Finest
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Mariner 350
Twin 350 Crusader Engines

Postby Finest » May 2nd, 2018, 8:44 pm

I also have the same problem with the front windshield screw cover. I have a 1997 350 Mariner with Taylor windshields. Do you have the part number for the new screw cover?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 2nd, 2018, 9:51 pm

Try contacting Taylor Made directly. Between the boat model and year, they should be able to help you. Or you can record your hull number and give Carver's parts department a call. They can give you the information you need to provide Taylor Made.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 2nd, 2018, 9:52 pm

Same time slow typing...woops

Edit here, I was just not sure of that part number so didn't want to mislead anyone.... Finest...there is an easier way..I have the old I just pulled out and a piece of the new, we can compare to yours for sure......PM me

Taylor was very helpful, they e mailed me the original CAD drawing for the upgraded part so I cut a piece off and compare it to the actual size drawing before I ordered......good luck man..... :beergood:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”