Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

356 aux gas tank/ Need to siphone old gas out?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
ozarkboater
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: SEA KRITTER 1999 CARVER 356 MOTOR YACHT

Lives in Omaha Ne. boats In Missouri Lake of the Ozarks

356 aux gas tank/ Need to siphone old gas out?

Postby ozarkboater » June 15th, 2017, 5:39 pm

I have owned this 356 for two years now. The old owners owned the boat for five years and told me they never used the aux tank in the rear. That's seven years the aux tank has not been used. The fuel gauge reads less than 1/4 tank. I talked to the original owner of the boat and he told me he used it all the time. Wanted to insure myself nothing was wrong with the tank before I got too carried away.
I want to siphon every bit of fuel out of the tank before I use it. The boat is in the water of course, so the tank is lower than where I will be siphoning from. I was wondering if any one had an idea of the best way to go about this? By the spec sheet there is 7 ft. of hose from filler cap in the rear of boat to the tank. Or should I be thinking of the opposite direction and try to drain it from the fuel line at the supply valves, and how would I go about this?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated... Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: 356 aux gas tank/ Need to siphone old gas out?

Postby mjk1040 » June 15th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Well you can get most of the fuel out thru the aux. supply line to the control valves. The back wall of the back berth should come apart to allow you access to the aux. fuel tank. Have you thought of trying to pump it out from the filler port? Long enough clear hose on a vacuum extractor?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 15th, 2017, 9:37 pm

You'll only get so much pumping it out though the existing pick up tubes as they don't go all the way to the bottom. I did this very thing by accessing the tank through the aft cabin and extracting through the sender port.

Topic author United States of America
ozarkboater
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: SEA KRITTER 1999 CARVER 356 MOTOR YACHT

Lives in Omaha Ne. boats In Missouri Lake of the Ozarks

Postby ozarkboater » June 16th, 2017, 12:10 am

Well, I think I would rather extract it out through the filler tube. It would be a lot less work the tearing the bed and wall apart. And if I understand you both, it's the only way to get to the bottom of the tank? What to use ? would a shop-vac have enough suction for seven feet of tube and would it be safe? or is there something specific I should use?

thanks Bill

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 16th, 2017, 6:01 am

Don't use a shop vac. greater chance of an explosion or fire. Buy or borrow an oil vacuum extractor. It'll take sometime at 6 or 7 quarts at a time. Or and explosion proof extraction suction pump. Be Safe. If you don't mind sharing, what did the Sea Deck set u back?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 16th, 2017, 6:46 am

mjk1040 wrote:Source of the post Don't use a shop vac. greater chance of an explosion or fire. Buy or borrow an oil vacuum extractor. It'll take sometime at 6 or 7 quarts at a time. Or and explosion proof extraction suction pump.....

++1
You can also rig up an electric fuel pump with some fuel line.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 16th, 2017, 8:01 am

Really, to do it right you need to go through the sensor.

You can buy a low cost fuel pump and pump most of it out via the aux line... that would be fairly easy. But it would only get you to the low end of the pickup tube. Also, if you know which end of the tank the pickup tube is on, you can list the boat to get even more out.

Then, take the berth apart and get to the sensor opening and use the pump again with a hose that goes to the bottom of the tank. I put a low-cost in-line filter in before the pump just so you don't suck any debris into it an ruin it early in the process.

This two-step process would minimize the amount of time you'd have to have the berth taken apart.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”