Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

406 Taking Water from Stbd Engine Vent

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
TxHawk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 406MY

406 Taking Water from Stbd Engine Vent

Postby TxHawk » July 5th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Hello All,
New to the forum with a 2001 406. It took me about 3 weeks to determine that my water leak is from rough water boating and rain (washing). If the stbd. side takes water on the deck, it drains and drips right into the engine vent from the walkway. I assume the vent is supposed to drain but I end up with wet carpet at the lower landing going into the aft cabin. I have so far learned that if it is going to rain hard, pull the carpet back and prepare to soak up the water.

Is there a known issue or trick to draining the large side vents?

Thanks in advance! :usa:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 406 Taking Water from Stbd Engine Vent

Postby g36 » July 5th, 2017, 8:59 pm

While looking for my 405 I looked at several 405 and 406's I found a couple 406's that had this exact issue.. From my memory the 406 had the non opening side windows, correct? I have the same vents never a drop from water coming in. My thought would be the salon windows seals are allowing water in rain and washing and not the vent having the same baaic design different windows I don't really think water at the vent would make it back to the wet carpet area at the bottom of the steps. These were lake boats so no rough water. I remember one of the sellers telling me his windows had been fixed it was strange to see the exact issue on a couple of them for sell. I still passed I do enjoy being able to slide open the windows on the 405 for fresh air. Have you ruled the windows out 100%?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

TxHawk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TxHawk » July 6th, 2017, 9:43 am

You are right, 406 windows do not open. While I really like the look of them without the frame, it would be nice to open them.

The water has to really back up on the walk way for it to drip into the vents. I am fairly sure that is where it is coming from. The first time this happened was with rough water and a side wide blowing the spray into that side. I will have to crawl over there and inspect the drain system. If the port is leaking, the water makes it to the bilge without showing signs in the cabin. On the stbd, I suspect that the floor must extend far enough towards the hull side to catch some of the water.

Thanks for the response.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 6th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Good luck and please let us know what you find.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

TxHawk
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TxHawk » July 10th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Did some spray tests this weekend. The side vent when getting heavy water will leak into the engine room. It is impossible to reach it from the bilge but I can see the water running in and down the hull side. The water didn't reach the floor/carpet this time. Two theory's are the aft tank is now empty so its not flowing back or I just didn't spray enough water.

The seal around the window is good and there is really no other way water would get to that point. The last time it got wet there was after rain, with no pumps running or dock side water.

I will have to remove the vent from the outside and inspect...

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”