Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Washdown Pump Plumbing

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
CarVermont
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 03 366

Washdown Pump Plumbing

Postby CarVermont » July 14th, 2017, 10:26 am

My 2003 366 deck wash down pump (fresh water, not seawater) inlet is NOT plumbed to anything. The freshwater tank has a single output to the fresh water pump for sinks etc. That plumbing appears to be factory.

I can't figure out where the deck wash down pump should connect. There are no "T fittings" that I can see off the tank.

Anyone know?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Washdown Pump Plumbing

Postby tomschauer » July 14th, 2017, 11:49 am

It sounds like someone disconnected it somewhere along the line, or it was seawater and was connected to a thru hull. You can cut a Tee into the line leaving the freshwater tank, before the existing water pump. If you run both pumps at the same time, you may see reduced flow from one or both pumps.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 14th, 2017, 8:12 pm

If it's a potable (water used from tank) water outlet, you can bypass the wash-down pump by just teeing into anywhere along the cold water line after your existing fresh water pump, anywhere after the pump, anywhere in the boat will do. You'll only get the amount of pressure that your fresh water pump is rated for. If you want more pressure than that, simply hook the boat up to dockside water, that will likely pressurize your system better, or as mentioned, tee the wash-down pump into the tank's current outlet line though flow will be reduced with both pumps running as noted above.

Personally I wouldn't be using water from the on-board tank for wash-down. In a salt water app, I'd just hook up to a thru-hull to get things started, then do a final rinse with fresh water when I returned to the dock and can hook up to dockside water.

What would you be washing down that couldn't be done first with salt water (I assume that's what you're in) then do a final rinse at the dock?

Topic author
CarVermont
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 03 366

Postby CarVermont » July 17th, 2017, 2:30 pm

I'm in fresh water. I found that there were 2 options for the washdown pump.

1- Its own seacock in the aft bildge. 2- Plumbed to freshwater tank.

Since I don't have the above mentioned seacock/thruhull, I have to assume it originally went the the tank.

I don't plan to use it much at all. I just don't like having things in disrepair is all.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 17th, 2017, 8:49 pm

If there is no unused seacock, plumb it into the water tank's outlet hose as described above.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”