Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Refrigerator Freezer

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Refrigerator Freezer

Postby Makin Waves » July 17th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Is my refrigerator freezer supposed to be working while I'm travelling?
Stuff was thawing out, we were under way for 8 hours
We have a giant inverter system, other lights, heads, etc are working while under way
The inverter system is very complicated, not sure how it works
thanks
Dave

United States of America
rkrumm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 430

Re: Refrigerator Freezer

Postby rkrumm » July 17th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Yes. You may have to turn on the "Refer" switch on the 12 volt panel. At least that's I do to stay cool.
Randy
Anacortes, WA
1995 Carver 430

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 17th, 2017, 7:12 pm

The lights and heads are probably all DC powered. You should check if your inverter powers the fridge, or if it just powers things like TVs. If the inverter does not power the fridge, the fridge should also have a dedicated DC breaker as rkrumm says, to power it when cruising.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 17th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Typically they are AC and DC operation but it really depends on the make and model you have as some are AC only. If it's dual voltage, make sure your 12 volt fridge breaker is one while underway. Having said that, if your inverter powers up the whole 120 volt panel and is auto-switching, the fridge should continue to work on AC supplied by your inverter. Really depends on what you have, how it's wired, and how you're managing your breakers. Need a little more info. Is this boat new to you recently? Did you install the inverter or was it already there?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 17th, 2017, 9:10 pm

as mentioned above, you should have a 12 volt breaker for the fridge. Turn it on when not on shore or generator power. All of you factory installed lighting and heads should be 12 volt and not connected to an inverter. If you do have an inverter installed it would only supply your 120 volt receptacles, and load connected to them, and maybe your a/c unit(s) water heater and icemaker. But it takes a pretty good sized inverter to run the a/c and water heater. Are these items working without shore power or generator?
Also, most inverter systems are not auto change over. There may be a on / off switch somewhere for it?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 18th, 2017, 1:38 pm

In a semi-related note:

I put a Kill-a-Watt on my Norcold fridge/freezer the other day. I think it's a DE-461 which replaced an older DE-728, but it's the "full size" boat fridge with freezer section on top. Here's some numbers:

It was a sunny 90 degree day. In peak afternoon, the cabin temp was probably a few degrees hotter, as there is no A/C. Nightime dropped to 68ish (F)

Over a 24 hr period, it used about 1.25KWH. If the efficiency is similar running on D.C., then that alone would completely kill the average new Group 29 or Group 31 battery in one day.

Average power while running is 76 W. Average power while NOT running was 6.6 W, which surprised me.. I was thinking it would be less than 1.

Based on the average power over a day and the running power, it was running about 70% of the time... probably more during the hot afternoon and less at night.

Topic author Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Postby Makin Waves » July 19th, 2017, 10:44 am

I will check this out on the weekend
thanks

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”