Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

carver

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Coolant Loss Mystery

Postby bud37 » July 31st, 2017, 8:32 am

Imo ,if you were burning it there may be that sweet smell in the exhaust gasses......in regards to the heat exchanger, I guess so long as you have water flow and enough coolant in the engine you would not overheat until you got to the low coolant point. If you have one ,double check your temps with an IR temp gun.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 31st, 2017, 9:48 am

I doubt you're losing it out the heat exchanger.. the raw water should have pressure in it and would fill rather than empty the heat exchanger.

Time to do a pressure test!! If you're using a polypropylene glycol based coolant rather then ethylene glycol, you might not notice that "sweet smell" in the exhaust.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 31st, 2017, 10:26 am

could be in the main exchanger or the tranny exchanger. If its going that fast it should be fairly easy to find with a little pressure.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 31st, 2017, 12:00 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post or the tranny exchanger.

If it's the tranny exchanger, wouldn't the tranny be full of water by now?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 31st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Actually the trans fluid would be gone as the trans pressure is higher than the water pressure. My bad.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 31st, 2017, 1:08 pm

I don't have closed cooling.. but to the oil and trans coolers get fed with raw water, or the closed cooling system water?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 31st, 2017, 1:38 pm

I have closed cooling. I assumed they are fed by the closed system, but I never traced it to verify. I will check out this weekend.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 31st, 2017, 1:50 pm

The pressure in the engine coolant would be far higher than the raw water side, there may be some incidental pressure but it would not overcome a leak from the engine side IMO . Actually there may be another potential leak point in the exhaust manifolds if they have engine coolant passages in them with this being closed cooling......just some ideas, I also think there will have to be some pressure testing done.

I wonder if one were to get a sample of the exhaust discharge water, could that be tested for engine coolant ( anti freeze )??
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 31st, 2017, 4:07 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post The pressure in the engine coolant would be far higher than the raw water side, there may be some incidental pressure but it would not overcome a leak from the engine side IMO . Actually there may be another potential leak point in the exhaust manifolds if they have engine coolant passages in them with this being closed cooling......just some ideas, I also think there will have to be some pressure testing done.

I wonder if one were to get a sample of the exhaust discharge water, could that be tested for engine coolant ( anti freeze )??

The coolant side will only have pressure from heating up... once that leaks off there's no more pressure unless you're hitting the boiling point. The raw water side should have at least 5psi, shouldn't it?

Perhaps the "best" place for there to be a problem would be the block-off plates between the manifold and riser. This would be the easiest fix. A pressure test would tell you though... you might even be able to hear it leaking. You should be able to isolate the manifold pretty easy to to test each one individually.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 31st, 2017, 8:31 pm

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post I have an 06 Carver with twin 8.1 Liter (496's) engines. I recently noticed my port engine coolant reservoir was empty so I filled it (1 jug) ran the boat for around an hour and it is empty again. The mystery is that the engine is not showing signs of over heating, no coolant in the bilge, no white exhaust smoke indicating it's being burned off? I'm stumped. Sure I could be losing it out the heat exchanger but wouldn't I be overheating?

Here could be a good read, some diagrams and testing procedures for you, maybe not the same engines as yours but I believe the theory is the same..... :beergood:

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/servmanl/18/18b6r2.pdf

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”