Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

No Water Coming Into the Head

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
MeredithRaymond
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

No Water Coming Into the Head

Postby MeredithRaymond » August 11th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Hello! My husband and I bought our first boat! Its a 1998 Carver 355 Aft Cabin. During sea trial, the surveyor noted that "there was no water coming in to the forward head/toilet when it was flushed". He suggested that "possibly needs a new impellor". We are having the same issue in the aft head as well. Given this, we are wondering if there is a valve or switch that simply not on. Couldn't find anything in the manual. Any suggestions before we go paying for it to be serviced?

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Meredith

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: No Water Coming Into the Head

Postby bud37 » August 11th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Are they electric or vacuflush.......the electric if really noisy, probably have a thru hull valve to open to let the pump pick up water from under the boat.....there are people with 355's here that will know where all that stuff is located for you.....someone will be along soon , I am sure....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 11th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Is there a foot pedal to operate the toilet? If so, you have a Vacuflush system. For that to work, the breaker must be turned on at the breaker panel and you must have your water system turned on or hooked up to dockside water.

If you push a button to flush the toilet then it could be a bad impeller or the lack of a water supply for some reason.

Which type do you have?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 12th, 2017, 10:22 am

My 355 has the jabsco quiet flush heads. They use fresh water to flush, so you need to have water in your tank and the pressure water pump on or be connected to dockside water if you have the same type.

MeredithRaymond
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MeredithRaymond » August 12th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Thank you for all the responses!
We have an electric flush that makes a lot of noise when the button is pushed. Water is connected to the dock and running fine to the sinks. And the tank indicates that it's full. The boat was shipped in March from Arizona to California and set idle thereafter so I am making the assumption that only the vital few items were left on.
My husband believes it is a salt water pick up and is looking in the manual for the valves. On the way to the boat now with manual in hand to look for the valves. He is also planning to pick up a service kits for each toilet and install those.
Is this the right track or are we missing something?
'98 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
San Diego, California
:captain: This is my first boat!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 12th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Yep, the right track....there are two hoses that feed that toilet, a larger waste hose that discharges to the waste tank and a smaller hose that comes from the thru hull valve.....just follow that one back to the valve from the motor/pump assembly beneath the toilet and you will find the thru hull if that is the setup you have......this is my guess cause we have the same very noisy electric toilet, even after I rebuilt it....there is a much quieter version that uses a second separate electric pump to get the water for the flush.Good luck with your project....remember gloves....... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 12th, 2017, 2:03 pm

If they are raw water flushed, I believe you will find the trough hull under the galley floor towards the bow.

MeredithRaymond
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MeredithRaymond » August 12th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Much appreciated!
Hubby is gloved, beer is stocked and he's ready to valve hunt! Thank you all for the help!
'98 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
San Diego, California
:captain: This is my first boat!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 13th, 2017, 5:09 pm

We have Vacu-Flush, but I'm sure the others are correct on ur type of system. :beergood:
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Low Flyer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355 MY
Mercruiser Bluewater 454's

Postby Low Flyer » August 14th, 2017, 12:42 pm

MeredithRaymond, my 1998 355MY toilets are electric and use lake or sea water to flush the toilets. There is a sea-cock that picks up fresh lake water to clean the bowl. Maybe part of a winterization that was performed on your boat closed those sea-cocks.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by Low Flyer on August 23rd, 2017, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Water Wings II"
1998 355 Aft Cabin

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”