Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacement Enclosures - Anyone have a Source?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
bartlettsails
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Replacement Enclosures - Anyone have a Source?

Postby bartlettsails » August 16th, 2017, 12:43 pm

:help: :help: :help: Hi - Does anyone know who has the pattern for replacement enclosures? After calling Carver, they only keep them for 10 years?

Anyone know who makes them aftermarket? I'm trying to avoid having a canvas manufacturer make them from scratch to save some $$$$.

This is for a 1995 Carver 280 Express. I have the bimini and need new side and rear pieces.

Thanks in advance! :usa: :usa: :usa:

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Replacement Enclosures - Anyone have a Source?

Postby Midnightsun » August 16th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Not to burst your bubble but I do not believe you can buy canvas off the shelf that will fit your boat properly. Some people do make them from patterns for various brands however they give you the job of installing the snaps as otherwise it would not fit. Leta's top shop is a reputable place and I know they have most of the patterns for Bayliner and other brands but not sure about Carver. Worth a phone call to verify. http://letastopshop.com
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 16th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Quite honestly,also like Hans, I don't believe you will save anything in the long run....get an estimate from your local canvas guy/gal/shop, you might be surprised and then everything will work right and fit properly.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 16th, 2017, 8:42 pm

You want a good fit and good looking canvas job have them custom mad at a good canvas shop.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 16th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Custom made, usually better fit and less expensive believe it or not. And you can change the configuration.. My 355 had zippers directly in the center of my normal forward view, not anymore.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 17th, 2017, 10:44 am

Even if Carver still had them, you'd need to consider that modifications might have been made by previous owners. If that were the case, any original design off the shelf wouldn't work, and sometimes modifying an existing pattern is more time consuming than simply starting from scratch. You can also take this opportunity to have it designed to suite your particular needs. In the end, the additional cost may give you a product that you'll be happier with.

There are good canvas people and not so good ones. Get references from a few and contact them. If you're at a marina, chances are the marina works with one or two outfits so ask other marina members that have had work done if they are happy with the outcome. And don't pay for it all up front.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » August 18th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Carver does not have replacement canvas/enclosures. Figure in the range of $4,000 for a quality job with Sunbrella, good clear vinyl, and front/side/rear curtains with half-moon zipper openings. You can pay a LOT more - for example, Strataglass is about $250 per sheet. It will cost you a lot more if you go with that compared with Crystal Clear or Regalite. YKK zippers and make sure they use marine quality thread. It seems weird, but some canvas suppliers use non-marine thread, and the UV from the sun kills it in 1-2 years. A quality canvas job should last 10-15 years with proper maintenance.

Good luck! :captain2:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 14th, 2017, 12:00 am

When you buy new "canvas" always keep in mind that depending on your boat, the canvas is minimal. You normally have more clear vinyl than canvas. make sure you have the best clear vinyl and zippers you can afford.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”