Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sealant

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Sealant

Postby feeez » September 6th, 2017, 11:02 am

When we took delivery of our boat it had a rather elaborate canvas set up that encompassed the cockpit. The canvas was long past its life span so we removed it. This has left us with "numerous" canvas snaps attached to the boat.

I want to go around and remove and re-install the snaps and re-seal them where ever I can. I was thinking of using 3M 4000UV. Thoughts and opinions of this would be appreciated.

We will also be undertaking a re-caulking project on this boat as the existing is getting old and dirty looking. What would be the best material for this and I would appreciate any experiences with a similar project.

Thanks
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Sealant

Postby tomschauer » September 6th, 2017, 11:07 pm

almost anything made by the Minnesota mining and manufacturing company (3M) is of top quality. If you are not reinstalling the snaps in the same place and the old holes would be visible, I would consider marine tex to fill the existing holes. If rebedding or installing new fasteners in existing holes 3m 4200 or 5200 will last for many years. The 4000 and 4200 are fast cure and limit your working time, the 5200 is most likely the original sealant used when your boat was build. It seems to be able to last 15 - 20 years, but is very slow to cure.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » September 7th, 2017, 10:47 am

Thanks toms..... if nothing else I now know what 3M stands for. :-P

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 8th, 2017, 7:39 am

For that particular fix, I prefer epoxying them in especially in areas where the snaps/canvas will be undone for access. The constant pull and load is not caulking friendly especially in hot summer sun.

Topic author Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander

Postby feeez » September 8th, 2017, 11:00 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post For that particular fix, I prefer epoxying them in especially in areas where the snaps/canvas will be undone for access. The constant pull and load is not caulking friendly especially in hot summer sun.

Thanks Viper,
Most of the ones I will be working on do not have canvas attached as they a leftovers from previous canvas configurations. What specific brand of of epoxy would you recommend?

Cheers
Fraser

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 11th, 2017, 7:10 am

I'd use West System's standard epoxy for that. If it's just for show, you can use anything but if it's being used for canvas, epoxy is the way to go IMO. If the repair extends beyond the snap such as chipped gel and you want it to look right cosmetically, then polyester and gel should be used for the repair.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”