Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 396, broken window replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
allanswett
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 396, twin Cummins diesel

Carver 396, broken window replacement

Postby allanswett » September 22nd, 2017, 3:50 pm

Sadly, Irma drove a sailboat along the outer docks at my marina, colliding with several vessels. One of my "custom" windows was broken. I'm looking for a replacement.

Model year 2000, Carver 396, the window is the rearmost panel (or maybe two) on the starboard side, the lower row of windows along the starboard side of the salon, below the walk-around. Tempered glass. It's completely shattered, and temporarily covered.

Info regarding part number or availability would be incredibly helpful !!!! Thanks!

allanswett
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Carver 396, broken window replacement

Postby allanswett » September 22nd, 2017, 4:33 pm

OK, looks like I have some info regarding part numbers. The Carver Yachts Parts Manual, pages 71 and 72, section 8.5, "396 Aft Cabin"... the two panels are part numbers 7059210 (aft window, stbd side) and 7059212 (window just forward of aftmost). So, now, wonder how I can find the parts. I have a photo of my hull number somewhere, they'll want this at the Carver Parts desk. Thanks for looking, and for ideas and or help!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » September 22nd, 2017, 6:22 pm

good luck!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 23rd, 2017, 8:17 am

Probably a Taylor Made window. Carver should be able to confirm and provide the manufacturer's part number. If there is a matching one on the other side, look for a part number etched into the glass. Usually on one of the bottom corners. Just tell them you need one for the opposite side.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 23rd, 2017, 10:42 am

If you have no luck getting a stock one from anywhere, you can have one made.

I had some tempered tinted windows made for a 72 Trojan years back. They can even curve it if necessary. A good glass shop can work with a pattern.

allanswett
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby allanswett » September 23rd, 2017, 2:48 pm

Thanks, Viper, I'll be talking to Carver this week, and hope they can connect me with the manufacturer or another source. I left a voice message with Parts on Friday. The idea of the etched number(s)... great... the same set of windows in installed on the port side, in a different order, so I do have identical window(s) onboard. km1125, thanks. (My windows are the unframed tempered glass type, tinted, a set of four makes an elongated oval shape.)

United States of America
Huckleberry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 Carver 36ss .
2005 Carver 44 CPMY

Postby Huckleberry » September 23rd, 2017, 7:31 pm

Dark smoked plexiglass ? Maybe .
Huck

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 23rd, 2017, 9:53 pm

Huckleberry wrote:Source of the post Dark smoked plexiglass ? Maybe .

Could make a GREAT temporary repair that almost matches, in case you need to have one on a long-term order or have one made.

I did that in a car one time. Had a window broken in an attempted break in. Next day I stopped at a hardware store that had the sheets of plexiglass. I got untinted (because the car didn't have tinted windows) and cut to shape and when the window mechanism was rolled up it held the plexiglass in place. Totally waterproof and you could NOT tell from looking at the car that it was temp job. I had it that way for almost a month before I got it in to get the real replacement.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » March 21st, 2024, 5:49 pm

Hi all,
I know this is an old thread, but this same thing (broken side glass) just happened to us today. Unfortunately it was my fault due to trying to negotiate getting off a dock with one engine (this will be a separate thread) with crazy wind. Not something I would normally do but with two days of rain and 40+ knot winds forecasted, both blackwater tanks full and our water tank empty - it had to be done.

Anyway, there was no follow-up as to how this was resolved so I thought I'd reach out to this amazing community! The previous person was going to reach out to Carver, but obviously that is no longer an option.

I'll be contacting local glass companies, but just curious if anyone has any tips or suggestions. Also, if anyone has done something like this, what might I be looking at cost-wise? Just want to make sure I don't get too overcharged! :lol:

Thanks in advance!!
Kyle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 21st, 2024, 7:01 pm

This may be a window produced overseas. Can't recall the name, hopefully someone will chime in with that info.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”