Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Questions on a Carver 3087

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
Carver_SL
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3087 Alegra

Questions on a Carver 3087

Postby Carver_SL » November 10th, 2013, 12:39 pm

I just recently purchased a project yacht - 3087 Allegra Carver. The boat needs a fair amount of detailing (pressure washing and buffing). The hours are roughly 500 hrs with twin 454 with Bravo drives. Been boating most all my life and understand the many concerns of this boat and its mechanical, so understand many of the pitfalls and wallet draining issues. I purchased it at a firesale price and can tell that the boat is more about neglect than anything. I was able to fire one engine, and the other I am told has a starter or wire connection issue. The drives had been serviced two/three years ago and the engine area is bone dry. Considering we are in one of the wettest regions and the boat is outside in the weather with just a toneau cover I was surprised, especially being it is in the water.

I have a few questions, I would like to ask as I have owned a single drive boat for years, and not a Carver yacht.

1. I noticed both motors have power sterring units, but only one has a belt to it. Can anyone tell me if it is typical to have only one power sterring pump functioning, or shoud both be hooked up?

2. Is there a good source to find parts for this Yacht such as a bimini top or full top?

3. Aside from Craigs list, is there any good suggested sites for finding other parts for this boat - ie: generator, windlass, or other?

Thank you for any info you can pass along.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: Questions on a Carver 3087

Postby Ramsport47 » November 11th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Congrats on the 30 Allegra...NICE boat!!! As far as your questions...1) Mercruiser made all of their sterndrive engines with power steering and since the drives are connected for steering purposes, only one of the power steering pumps is needed...consider the other one a spare. 2) Parts included in this question are usually better purchased custom made for the boat, generally cheaper and better fitting. 3) Any marine parts or accessory outlet can supply or recommend a place to get these items
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Topic author
Carver_SL
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3087 Alegra

Re: Questions on a Carver 3087

Postby Carver_SL » November 11th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for the great reply. I thought the pumps weren't to be together. My current trouble is the motor running is not connected to the sterring pump (needs belt). I will need to get the other engine going to get the pump to run. My work is cut out for me, but I enjoy it too!

Best regards,

Bill

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”