Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Rebedding bow pulpit

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Daze Aweigh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 300 Sedan
Twin Crusader 350 XL
Walter V-Drive

Home Port: Olverson's Marina | Callao, VA

Rebedding bow pulpit

Postby Daze Aweigh » October 10th, 2017, 9:40 am

Hello all,

New to the Carver world and this forum, but not new to the boating world. We just picked up our 93 Carver 300 Sedan near the beginning of August and are loving it so far! But as with any boat of this age, there's always work to be done...

Which brings me to the task at hand... rebedding.

There were low to moderate amounts of moisture/delamination found during the survey in the typical areas near the bow pulpit, handrail stanchions, etc.. I've recently begun the process of rebedding said items just this past weekend. I did the starboard side handrails this past Saturday, and all went quite well.

The question I have for the experts here is regarding the bow pulpit, which I intend to do on my next trip to the marina. So my question is this: does one need to completely remove the bow pulpit and rebed underneath, or does everyone just usually rebed the hardware? I'm not exactly sure how the pulpit is attached besides the four carriage bolts thru the anchor locker and the handrail stanchions. Said another way, does Carver put sealant underneath the entire pulpit during assembly? From what I can tell just by looking at it, it appears that it's just bolted down and there's a bead of caulk/sealant around the edge of the pulpit. It's obvious none of these items have ever been rebedded until now, so however it left the factory is how it will be when I undergo this project. While it's not leaking at the pulpit, yet, I have had some minor water intrusion from the starboard handrail stanchions, hence why I've taken on this project. Just want to make sure I do this right the first time.

I appreciate any input you guys/gals may have. I've already learned a lot from lurking around this forum! :captain:

-Kenny

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Rebedding bow pulpit

Postby bud37 » October 10th, 2017, 10:40 am

Welcome to the forum and Carver......regarding your pulpit there.......I have never done one of those but if it were me I would decide what to do based on the condition of the pulpit itself now, if it is very wet inside then remove and repair....but if ok then I would just clean out old caulk and redo including the carriage bolts. Probably no need to go too far if it is still in good shape....good luck with your project.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Daze Aweigh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin Crusader 350 XL
Walter V-Drive

Postby Daze Aweigh » October 10th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Thanks, bud!

It's not really that wet, just some slight cracking near the carriage bolts and some minor moisture that was noted during the survey. I'm leaning towards what you had suggested: cleaning old caulk and redoing carriage bolts. I guess I was just curious if anyone had every undertaken such a project and knows what lies beneath the pulpit itself/how Carver installs them.

I appreciate your response!

Daze Aweigh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin Crusader 350 XL
Walter V-Drive

Postby Daze Aweigh » October 12th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I just wanted to post this here, as after many hours of searching I pretty much found the answer I was looking for....

Someone apparently took on this job a few years ago on one of their Carvers with a pretty well damaged pulpit. He links to a photo gallery of the damage, the bow with the pulpit removed, and the repaired pulpit (which looked amazing by the way). It appears Carver beds the pulpit only under the areas where the mounting bolts and stanchions are. So that pretty much answers my questions. I just wanted to post all this here in case someone is curious as I was about this project and happens to stumble upon this thread one day...

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=165244

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/kthoenn ... ril%202014

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”