Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Digital Tachometer

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
eburklo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 564

Carver Digital Tachometer

Postby eburklo » November 12th, 2013, 8:00 am

We have a 2003 Carver 564. Starboard digital tachometer works sometimes. Is there a relationship between the tachometer and the sync gauge?

Sometimes the needle on the sync gauge is burried to the port side.

Does this effect my performance. I have Volvo D12's.

MissWhit's
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Carver Digital Tachometer

Postby MissWhit's » November 18th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Eburklo, Check all connections from the engine to the gauge and I suggest starting at the gauge and working backwards. If someone removed your bridge during transport then a connection could be bad. Look at your propulsion manual and determine where the signal is generated from (Computer, Crank sensor or what ever a Volvo D12 uses) and determine the wire color/number for tracing. The RPM gauge and Sync. gauge are tied hand to hand. I have a 2001 406 that has a Faria sync and sometimes it just does not work for some reason. I can tell you the sync gauge in my boat recieves the signal from the tachometer and both tachs show correctly but the sync gauge is wrong. Here is a link to an example: http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0079D.pdf Check with the gauge manufacture and determine what signal is needed for the digital tach to indicate speed. Is it a variable DC voltage or is it a change in frequency. If it is a variable DC voltage then connect a VOM and see if it changes value when the digital does not. The malfunctioning gauge should not affect your performance as it is only an inidicator unless the problem exist prior to the gauge in the electronic control. Good luck.
MissWhit's
Lake Texoma, Denison TX
Port: EYC Marina
2001 406 twin 380HP 454 MPI

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”