Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aft Deck Water Leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
McCaslinPickwick
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 346

Aft Deck Water Leak

Postby McCaslinPickwick » October 25th, 2017, 8:45 pm

I have noticed that each time I scrub the aft deck on my 346 that I have water in the aft cabin head. Nt sure how it gets there because there are no overhead signs of water coming in. Not sure if it's a loose deck drain hose or the joints need to be re-caulked around the edges of the deck. Anyone had this issue before that could help me troubleshoot?

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Aft Deck Water Leak

Postby Lyndon670 » October 25th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I had this problem on my 2001 506. Bare with me because it is actually pretty funny. When it rained hard, or when I gave the boat a good wash - the pillows on my aft stateroom bed would be wet. So the head of the aft stateroom is against the port side of the boat. I checked the roof, no signs of water intrusion. I then went onto the aft deck and re-caulked the seal around the hard enclosure and the deck, thinking maybe it leaked it through an attachment point and dried up before I could see it. I then put the hose right on the caulked spots. No leak, problem solved right?

No, next heavy rain and pillows wet again. I went through months of attempting to diagnose the intrusion.

In the end - it was a bad seal on one of the porthole windows. The hull design is such that the water runs into the window if the window is open or seal is gone. I fixed the seal and since then have had a dry boat.

I'm pretty sure your boat has a porthole in the aft head?
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Aft Deck Water Leak

Postby Viper » October 25th, 2017, 11:12 pm

If you have a cockpit ice maker or sink, check to see if the cabinet is water tight around the base. Water could be getting in and making its way down a raceway where your wiring and water lines go through. Where do you see the water in your head?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”