Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver506 Powered SunRoof

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
flyingfish
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: New to me Carver 506

Carver506 Powered SunRoof

Postby flyingfish » November 4th, 2017, 9:30 am

Good Morning all:
I have a new to me 2001 506. The previous owner has had problems with the electric motor for the powered sunroof. Seems to be a problem with heavy load verses small motor. Anyone have any idea's. :help:

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Carver506 Powered SunRoof

Postby Lyndon670 » November 4th, 2017, 10:29 am

No problem - remove and rebuild.

I had some concerns with mine so I took a picture of the motor before I bought the boat "just in case". I stopped by my local electric motor rebuilder and showed him the picture. He advised me no problem to rewind the motor.

Mine is faster opening than it is closing, but still works well.

Just make sure you take a coat hangar and clean out the drains on the port and starboard corners of the sunroof or you will get a cascading waterfall when it rains with no advance warning.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 4th, 2017, 10:56 am

Lyndon's right, just about any dismantable motor can be rewound. Before you condemn it though, you should check to ensure the circuit and components aren't the issue or you'll still have the problem after the motor rebuild. Check wiring and connections, switch, and breaker. You'll also want to make sure the unit is sliding properly and isn't binding for some reason giving the impression that it's a motor fault. Keep us posted

United States of America
flyinsolo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby flyinsolo » January 3rd, 2019, 1:11 am

Hi

I"m brand new to the forum. I have been researching as much as possible for a live aboard and I must say the 506 really seems to stand out as a great candidate for me. I have yet to look at one in person, but I must say one of my concerns with this boat would be that huge powered sunroof. As these boats are now in the 15+ age range, are there issues with them other than the electric motors and/or leaking?

I know it was mentioned about rewinding the motors and cleaning the drains to prevent leaks, but any other known issues with this roof would be appreciated. Also, since I'm looking to do this in South FL, one of my concerns is with the sun and the heat inside that area. I know it is an air conditioned area, but does any one have any practical experience dealing with the heat from this roof because of the sun?

Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 3rd, 2019, 7:09 am

Welcome board. The 506 would certainly be roomy enough for you. You can block the sun through the roof with a smoked film product but it'll be permanent. If you want to let more light through without opening the roof, you can have a canvas cover fabricated for it and mount it on the bottom so it can be easily removed/installed. You may also want to consider doing this with the mesh material used for windshields, it'll keep most of the sunlight out while still allowing some light through. I have that on my front windshield. Works great, keeps the sun out but let's in just enough light to brighten the area up, and allows you to see out.

Good luck with your search.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » January 3rd, 2019, 5:45 pm

Viper has a great solution but forgot to mention there are multiple degrees of mesh that let you decide how much light you do or don't want to radiate into your boat.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » January 5th, 2019, 11:55 am

There is enough window square footage all around that aft deck and cockpit to keep the area hot at all times of the day while the sun is out. The sunroof, while contributing the most around high noon, is only part of it.

United States of America
flyinsolo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby flyinsolo » January 30th, 2019, 10:51 am

Sorry for the slow response. I just now decided to check the forum again here. I figured this system would email me when someone replied here, but I guess not.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies. So Viper, it seems as though you are confirming my fears about that area being extremely hot during the day? If so, then I'm beginning to see perhaps why it doesn't seem like there are many (if any) of these boats in FL unfortunately.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”