Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Winterize water hook up for raw water cooled mercs

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Winterize water hook up for raw water cooled mercs

Postby bud37 » November 8th, 2017, 4:27 pm

What kind of setup are you using to connect water hose to 1.25" inlet hose between thru hull and pump inlet.....I would like to put in something more permanent that makes it convenient for me to use for fall winterize and spring start up.Any pros and cons for the stuff on the market.
Last edited by bud37 on November 9th, 2017, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Winterize water hook up for raw water cooled mercs

Postby Viper » November 8th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Do you have strainers? If not, you can install a set of these:

https://www.groco.net/ssc-1250

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » November 8th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Viper, that looks like a nice piece.
I have a seaflush kit. Basically some plastic funnels made to fit into the strainers. It works well for winterizing the engines, genny and a/c.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 9th, 2017, 7:14 am

Strainers give you a few options, that's why I asked if he had any. Seaflush is a good system for the DIYer. I prefer using a pressurized system to winterize with, it makes it so much easier. I found sometimes, as is by their design, that ac pumps have to be primed so simply pouring into a strainer doesn't always work. That isn't a concern if you use a pressurized system. With such a system, if you do have strainers, attach a permanent hose fitting on the strainer cap. When it's time to winterize, hook up the hose to the fitting on the strainer cap and you're ready to go. The pressurized system works great when it's time to do the dock side water inlet which requires pressure to overcome the check valve/regulator, and makes it really easy to do engines, raw water system, genny, water system, etc.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 9th, 2017, 8:25 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Do you have strainers? If not, you can install a set of these:

https://www.groco.net/ssc-1250

No strainers on engines only on gen and air.......that piece looks nice , I like that it is bronze, only thing is the quick fitting, be nice if that had a valve before the fitting for positive isolation. My goal here is to plumb both engine winterize/flush connections to an easy accessible location for me and my crappy back.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 9th, 2017, 8:45 am

Get a T and hook it up to the seacock, attach a long enough hose to the T permanently, attach a ball valve in the hose at a convenient location for you, add more hose at the end long enough to stick into a 5 gallon pail. Stick the hose in the pail, open the ball valve, close the seacock and away you go. After you're done, close the ball valve, open the seacock, lay the hose in the bilge for next time. The alternative is to replace the seacock with a three way type. You can set this system up and plumb both engines to a central location if you want or just leave the hose lying in the bilge as mentioned. Or install strainers. They'll serve to make winterizing easier and help keep solids out of your cooling system.

By the way, the above setup also acts as an emergency back up bilge pump system when you're taking on huge amounts of water as a result of a bad impact. If you set it up with a three way seacock, and the pick-up hose lying in the bilge, your engines will act as very large bilge pumps drawing cooling water from the bilge in hopes of keeping you afloat while you head for shore. The three way seacock or add-on valve if the same size as your raw water intake hose will allow your engines to draw full volume. At 1-1/4" or bigger, that's a lot of water. Some vessels will have at least one engine set up this way.

Topic author Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 9th, 2017, 9:53 am

That is pretty much what I had in mind......I think it would be nice to find bronze tees that are 1 1/4" hose all ways, that would reduce the overall size and weight you would get by putting a bunch of fittings together......I have searched and so far no luck.....like the idea of the bilge pump capability......... :beergood:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » November 9th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Take a look at bottom left part BT114
http://www.marinecatalogue.ca/index.html#376

Any marina can get them from Paynes who is a distributor

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”