Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 rudder removal

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
gmac98004
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Proud new owner - '98 355 Aft Cabin "Invictus"
6BT5.9M 210hp
Formerly - 1986 - 30' Newport MKIII

Re: 3607 rudder removal

Postby gmac98004 » August 4th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Hi Gang,

I’ve been tracking all of the “Rudder Packing” and “Water in Bilge” threads that have been posted over the last few years.

I have a 1998 355 Aft Cabin with no air conditioning. Here are a few of my facts:
1. Water pools up in aft cabin bilge (under bilge pump location).
2. Water pools up on galley bilge location (also under bilge pump location).
3. Water seems to be salty.
4. No leaks noticeable under water heater.
5. Water pump doesn’t cycle on/off. (thanks to all of you for helping me replace that bugger!)
6. In April had port rudder packing replaced while out of water. The packing was almost all dissolved.
7. Stbd rudder packing was too difficult to access but the mechanic did “tighten” it.

So, after that scenario in April, I still have some water coming into these bilges and would like to re-tighten both port and stbd rudder packing nuts and eliminate that as the possible culprit.

Can someone please tell me how best to access the stbd rudder packing nuts? Took off the counter top and the drawer of aft cabin cabinet but need at least another 6” of reach. Am I missing something obvious? Or maybe there is a great tool that can solve this situation?

Thanks for all of your wonderful help!

Be Safe, Greg

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 4th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Greg, have you also ruled out the shaft logs? If they're original and not dripless, it is normal for them to leak periodically when static and more so while underway.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 5th, 2021, 8:43 am

gmac98004 wrote:Source of the post Hi Gang,

I’ve been tracking all of the “Rudder Packing” and “Water in Bilge” threads that have been posted over the last few years.

I have a 1998 355 Aft Cabin with no air conditioning. Here are a few of my facts:
1. Water pools up in aft cabin bilge (under bilge pump location).
2. Water pools up on galley bilge location (also under bilge pump location).
3. Water seems to be salty.
4. No leaks noticeable under water heater.
5. Water pump doesn’t cycle on/off. (thanks to all of you for helping me replace that bugger!)
6. In April had port rudder packing replaced while out of water. The packing was almost all dissolved.
7. Stbd rudder packing was too difficult to access but the mechanic did “tighten” it.

So, after that scenario in April, I still have some water coming into these bilges and would like to re-tighten both port and stbd rudder packing nuts and eliminate that as the possible culprit.

Can someone please tell me how best to access the stbd rudder packing nuts? Took off the counter top and the drawer of aft cabin cabinet but need at least another 6” of reach. Am I missing something obvious? Or maybe there is a great tool that can solve this situation?

Thanks for all of your wonderful help!

Be Safe, Greg

You really should start a new thread on this, or it's going to get very confusing. The title is "3607 Rudder Removal" and you're talking about packings on a 355. You'll probably get more/better responses.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”