Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 rudder removal

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607

3607 rudder removal

Postby chiroman24 » November 14th, 2017, 9:33 pm

I recently purchased a 3607 and I need to remove a bent rudder for repair. two questions......

1) Do I just remove the rudder arm and collar and the rudder will slide out the bottom?
2) how the heck do you get to the stuffing boxes for the rudders? the rudder board seems to be right in the way. I can feel the stuffing box but just barely and definitely can't see it. I have searched high and low on the internet so if anyone can help, this carver guy would be very appreciative. thanks!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 3607 rudder removal

Postby bud37 » November 14th, 2017, 9:59 pm

here is a link to the Carver yacht web ....owners drop down...manual for 83 3607......pick thru there is a rudder diagram, might apply for you, won't be far off...to add some of these jobs are done upside down with mirrors :banghead: ....... :beergood:

http://www.carveryachts.com/media/4174/ ... ver_83.pdf
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 15th, 2017, 7:08 am

chiroman24 wrote:Source of the post.......Do I just remove the rudder arm and collar and the rudder will slide out the bottom?

Correct. Unless you have someone helping and supporting the rudder under the hull, block it up first. After you remove the tiller arm and the shaft retaining collar, you should be able to remove it. Having said that, it depends on how far up the shaft is bent. If the bend is all the way up into the tube, you may have a hart time removing it. After removal, inspect the tube to see if it out of round. If it is and you put it back into service you may have excessive movement because of the sloppy fit. This will increase the rate of ware on the shaft and tube and you'll be going through this all over again.

You don't need to undo the packing nut to remove the rudder but now would be the time to repack it anyway as chances are you'll have to adjust it after the rudder install.

chiroman24 wrote:Source of the post.....how the heck do you get to the stuffing boxes for the rudders? the rudder board seems to be right in the way. I can feel the stuffing box but just barely and definitely can't see it.....

Welcome to the wonderful world of working on boats designed by people that never have to work on them :banghead: (not just a Carver thing, some brands are worse). If there's no way around it, then yes you're working blind. Is this access under the bed?

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 7:29 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post
chiroman24 wrote:Source of the post.......Do I just remove the rudder arm and collar and the rudder will slide out the bottom?

Correct. Unless you have someone helping and supporting the rudder under the hull, block it up first. After you remove the tiller arm and the shaft retaining collar, you should be able to remove it. Having said that, it depends on how far up the shaft is bent. If the bend is all the way up into the tube, you may have a hart time removing it. After removal, inspect the tube to see if it out of round. If it is and you put it back into service you may have excessive movement because of the sloppy fit. This will increase the rate of ware on the shaft and tube and you'll be going through this all over again.

You don't need to undo the packing nut to remove the rudder but now would be the time to repack it anyway as chances are you'll have to adjust it after the rudder install.

chiroman24 wrote:Source of the post.....how the heck do you get to the stuffing boxes for the rudders? the rudder board seems to be right in the way. I can feel the stuffing box but just barely and definitely can't see it.....

Welcome to the wonderful world of working on boats designed by people that never have to work on them :banghead: (not just a Carver thing, some brands are worse). If there's no way around it, then yes you're working blind. Is this access under the bed?

Thanks viper! You answered my question.....I wasn't sure if it would slide out of the packing nut. The actual shaft does not appear to be bent. Only the bronze portion, however we shall see what we shall see. Seems like it would be difficult to bend one without bending the other but I am hopeful in the meantime. The access is under the bed, it allows great access to the rudder arm and collar, but the rudder board is absolutely in the way of the ONE part that requires occasional maintenance! Like you said, apparently designed by someone who does not have to work on them. Thank you so much for the info. I'm sure we'll be talking soon!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 15th, 2017, 9:21 am

If the rudder board you're talking about is the 1x8 (?) that crosses from port to starboard over the rudders, then just remove it. I think there are two screws at each end, and just cut the cable ties that hold down the water hoses. I took this out when I moved my trim tab pump and also when I purged the steering gear of air.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 9:25 am

km1125 wrote:If the rudder board you're talking about is the 1x8 (?) that crosses from port to starboard over the rudders, then just remove it. I think there are two screws at each end, and just cut the cable ties that hold down the water hoses. I took this out when I moved my trim tab pump and also when I purged the steering gear of air.

That is awesome information! thank you! I will look at that this weekend when I return to the boat. and this may be a stupid question, but i assume you put the board back when you completed your repairs?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 15th, 2017, 9:30 am

chiroman24 wrote:Source of the post
km1125 wrote:If the rudder board you're talking about is the 1x8 (?) that crosses from port to starboard over the rudders, then just remove it. I think there are two screws at each end, and just cut the cable ties that hold down the water hoses. I took this out when I moved my trim tab pump and also when I purged the steering gear of air.

That is awesome information! thank you! I will look at that this weekend when I return to the boat. and this may be a stupid question, but i assume you put the board back when you completed your repairs?

Well, after looking at the diagram, I wonder if we are talking about the same board. The actual "rudder board" would be below the shaft retaining collar. This is NOT the board I removed. There is (or at least there is on mine) a board above the rudder shafts that is used to hold a lot of the plumbing lines. It was this board that prevented my access to everything below.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 15th, 2017, 10:16 am

Something to add, make sure to check for and remove any nicks,burrs, corrosion etc from the shaft before you try to drop it down thru .....if bad , clean it with emery if you can....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 10:20 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post

Well, after looking at the diagram, I wonder if we are talking about the same board. The actual "rudder board" would be below the shaft retaining collar. This is NOT the board I removed. There is (or at least there is on mine) a board above the rudder shafts that is used to hold a lot of the plumbing lines. It was this board that prevented my access to everything below.

km1125 wrote:Source of the post

ok. i can see the rudder arm and retaining collar with no problem. however the 1x8ish board, labeled "rudder board" in the owner's manual, is next and the packing nut assembly is below that board. i can barely get a hand on it much less get two wrenches in there and turn it. and I definitely can't see it. dang! i was hoping you were on to something!

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » November 15th, 2017, 10:23 am

bud37, thank you, I will make sure and do that!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”