Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver Mariner 350 City Water Hookup - Winter

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Carver Mariner 350 City Water Hookup - Winter

Postby amanphoto » November 20th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Question. What is the best way to winterize the City Water hookup section of hose? For the rest of the water system, the intake on the water pump was removed and antifreeze was pumped throughout the system.

The City Water section has a back flow valve so you can't pump your stored water out the fitting. It also has a pressure reducer in it.

Thoughts?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver Mariner 350 City Water Hookup - Winter

Postby tomschauer » November 20th, 2017, 7:46 pm

You need to pump some A/F through it.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 20th, 2017, 8:56 pm

You can pump pink thru it with your raw water wash down if you have one.....I use that to do the entire system...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » November 20th, 2017, 9:54 pm

I use the city water connection to winterize the the whole system except the raw wash down. Just hook up a hose to it and "pump in the pink" :pirate:
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 20th, 2017, 11:42 pm

When I winterized my city water hookup I used my small air compressor to pump air through the whole system. I hooked my compressor and opened the faucets in the galley, head and shower areas and let it run until most of the water was gone. Then I ran the pink stuff though all the lines. Using a funnel I put some pink stuff into the city water hookup line.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 21st, 2017, 5:23 am

In my "winterization kit" I have a cheap drill pump which has a short length of hose on one end which is inserted into the pink stuff container and the other end is a male hose fitting. First thing I do is the city water part pumping in maybe a quart or so, just enough to make sure this line is filled. Next is to disconnect the pump and do the entire system one faucet at a time. A blow out fitting is also a good method however you do need compressed air to do so.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » November 21st, 2017, 8:43 am

The air method only works as a first step in your fresh water winterization or as the entire process. You cannot use "pink" through the system at the water pump and then connect an air line up the the shore water line and blow back into the system. Doing this actually reintroduces water back from the line back to the manifold and into the system.

That being said, opening a tap inside the boat (closest to the shore water is easiest), and then connecting an airline to the shore water and introducing air pressure to the line is a great first step. Then disconnect and run your pink through the system. Or, simply open up every line and run the air through one at a time.

If you run pink through the system at the waterpump, you also have the option of disconnecting the line at the back of the shorewater hook up. Four screws on the faceplate and then the hose clamp (or the PEK fitting if newer boat) and you will get the pink coming backwards out of that line. This has been my method for years, no pump required - just my phillips screwdriver.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » November 22nd, 2017, 8:52 am

I am glad that I came across this thread because I have already winterized but failed to do anything with the city water hookup.
The batteries are already disconnected and the entire fresh water system is pink. In retrospect, I did not send pink through the 'fresh water washdown' faucet either.
Which technique would you folks recommend?
Midnightsun's, seems like the best bet. Perhaps pump some through while opening fresh water wash down faucet. I won't be required to hook up batteries. Seems easy enough: go to home depot and pick up a pump, short hose and some pink.
What do you think?
Thanks.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 22nd, 2017, 9:14 am

denpooch wrote:Source of the post I am glad that I came across this thread because I have already winterized but failed to do anything with the city water hookup.
The batteries are already disconnected and the entire fresh water system is pink. In retrospect, I did not send pink through the 'fresh water washdown' faucet either.
Which technique would you folks recommend?
Midnightsun's, seems like the best bet. Perhaps pump some through while opening fresh water wash down faucet. I won't be required to hook up batteries. Seems easy enough: go to home depot and pick up a pump, short hose and some pink.
What do you think?
Thanks.

Don't forget the transom shower.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » November 22nd, 2017, 11:15 am

You cant pump it into the shore water now. If you do, you will be pumping in PINK which will push/displace FRESH WATER through to the manifold.

Your only course of action now is to disconnect the shorewater hook up at the transom and any residual pressure should release the fresh water back through there - if your taps are closed off.

+1 on the transom shouwer.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”