Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

3607 rudder replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver 3607

3607 rudder replacement

Postby chiroman24 » January 9th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Does anyone know of someone parting out a 3607 or know where to buy replacement rudders for a 3607?? I was able to remove a bent rudder with no problems and the prop guy was able to straighten it, but during the cooling process it cracked in two pieces. I have been all over the internet looking for replacements with little luck. Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

United States of America
SanJuanDreamer
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Still Searching

Re: 3607 rudder replacement

Postby SanJuanDreamer » January 9th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Can you supply a picture?

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » January 9th, 2018, 5:28 pm

The rudders are still at the prop shop which is a couple hours away. I just found out so don't have them in my possession yet, and won't for a week or so. Sorry. They are the oem rudders with Carver part #'s cast in them

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 9th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Have you tried Buck Algonquin.? What did the prop shop say, has yours gone brittle?

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreational ... /rudders-2
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » January 9th, 2018, 6:30 pm

[quote="bud37"]Source of the post Have you tried Buck Algonquin.? What did the prop shop say, has yours gone brittle?

The prop shop just said he heated it, got it straight and as it cooled it just cracked in two. So now I am the proud owner of a two piece rudder! I have not tried Buck Algonquin, but I will now....thanks!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 9th, 2018, 8:43 pm

A good prop shop should be able to source a replacement. You can also contact Carver and find out who the supplier/foundry was.

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » January 10th, 2018, 9:12 am

Viper wrote:A good prop shop should be able to source a replacement. You can also contact Carver and find out who the supplier/foundry was.

Thanks Viper! The guy is great with props, very good reputation etc., but didn't have a specific source for rudders. I will give Carver a call and see where that leads me. thanks again! Fortunately the shafts are straight and in good shape, so the pins could be knocked out and new rudders attached possibly. we'll see.... Did I mention I love boats!!???

chiroman24
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby chiroman24 » January 10th, 2018, 8:33 pm

UPDATE:

I talked to Carver, actually a Carver dealer (big shout out to Captain's Choice of Pickwick in MS, Matt was a HUGE help!), and he got me in touch with the manufacturer that has been making Carver rudders etc, for years. So for anyone needing rudder info, the company is Croix Gear and Machining in Hudson, WI. Website is Croixgear.com I hope this helps someone else as well! I know I am sure glad to have found these folks! Thanks for the replies and help!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”