Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

sun pads

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Starboard Vibration

Postby mjk1040 » February 24th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I'm really thinking it's going to be a prop issue. If he recalls, he may have "sterned (backed) into a sand rif!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 24th, 2018, 7:28 pm

I'm thinking so too, let's hope that's all it is, but for the benefit of anybody else having a vibration it's good to put all the possibilities out there.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » February 26th, 2018, 5:16 pm

02 props fixed and static balanced here in NY cost between $400 - $500. I'm really thinking you are going to find a prop out of whack.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 26th, 2018, 7:54 pm

nautiyachti wrote:Source of the post on the topic of costs...what can I expect to pay for trouble shooting this ie prop balance check , shaft trueness check and or cutlass bearing replacement?

There are many variables that will affect your labour costs. Door rates differ depending on where you are in Simcoe, the condition of your hardware and how it will affect ease of removal, how competent the techs are, and the type of equipment the marina has such as the bearing puller. If they don't have a puller that can do the job with the shaft in place, then they have to remove the shaft first to replace the bearing, etc. etc. Assessing the bearing and shaft alignment through the tube is more of a visual thing so that should be minutes.

It shouldn't take them very long to dial the shafts providing there isn't too much growth on them as that has to be removed first. If your gear is coated with Propspeed, it will add quite a bit of labour to clean areas for measurement as that stuff isn't that easy to remove. After that, dialing shouldn't take long, it takes longer to set everything up. The shafts should be measured in a few key spots.

Props are always hit and miss. Some come off in the blink of an eye while others are stubborn and seem to take forever. Even with the best prop puller, it could take longer than expected in some cases. Putting them back on should be pretty quick, hope they know how to do it properly but that's another thread! It shouldn't cost you anything for the scan but only after a scan can it be determined how much the repair will cost if needed.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”