Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How to lubricate throttle cable on 350 Mariner

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Outandaboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner

How to lubricate throttle cable on 350 Mariner

Postby Outandaboat » March 4th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Hi Everyone,
My Starboard throttle sticks and I have to jamb it forward to get the engines to sync. Do I just need to oil the cable or do I need a new cable? Easy to do?
Thanks
Cam

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: How to lubricate throttle cable on 350 Mariner

Postby tomschauer » March 4th, 2018, 11:02 pm

I would check out the linkage both at the throttle lever and the engine to make sure it is a cable problem.
If it is a cable problem, you can try to lubricate it starting at the helm throttle lever as this is most likely where this issue is due to water intrusion. I would go to a motorcycle dealer. They can sell you a clamp on cable lubricator fitting and some good cable lube. This helps force the lubricant into the cable, not all over your helm. These work great on cycle cables that are normally only 3 -6 ft long. If this doesn't work, as unfortunatley your cables are most likely 20' or more long, they may need to repalced.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 5th, 2018, 6:37 am

Need a little more info;
Is the throttle lever easy to move right from idle up to a certain point then requires a lot of effort to go the rest of the way, or does it take a lot of effort right from idle? Does this happen only at the very end of the lever's travel? When you sinc the rpm of both engines around half throttle, are both levers in the same position?

Before you do anything else, try this; disconnect the cable at the engine and see if the throttle still binds. If it does, disconnect at the control/helm to see if it's a control problem. Check the end shafts at both ends of the cable and ensure their surface is smooth, free of corrosion, and not bent. If nothing is bent, the remote control works fine when it's isolated, and you still have the same problem when the cable is disconnected from the engine, you probably need a new cable. Lubricating the cable is just masking/putting a bandaid on the problem IMO. If you have to jamb it at the end, there's a bigger problem.

How the cable is run plays a large roll in its longevity. Check to ensure there are no tight turns. If there are, that might be your problem but simply rerouting the cable may not cure anything as the damage will already be done. It's something you'll need to consider though if you have to replace the cable as there is a maximum radius spec.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » March 5th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Viper, do u recommend any specific brand of cables. Local mechanic here says there r some called extreme I think, that he claims you can tie a knot in them and they will still work slick and smooth no matter what!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 5th, 2018, 6:41 pm

"No matter what" is a bit of a stretch. With any cable, the tighter the radius the faster it'll wear internally. It's a flexible metal cable that rides/slides in a plastic tube. Manufacturers get creative and use hi tech materials in the inner wall that the cable slides in but as soon as you introduce a bend, the metal cable will rub harder on the outside of that turn. The tighter the turn the harder it rubs and the faster it wears. You can operate any new cable in a knot, the question is how long will it last. The Seastar Teleflex Extreme is a very good cable, I use them all the time, never had any issues.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » March 6th, 2018, 5:17 am

Understandable Viper! Those are the brand he mentioned.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Santego 3467
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » April 6th, 2020, 1:21 am

I did this on a previous outboard boat, the vintage 1991 cables were about 15" long and it worked like a charm. My starboard throttle is stiff and this is on my to do list. You will need some sort of air compressor. A small one will work since the pressure settings and air volumes are low.

Barry

United States of America
BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Santego 3467
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » April 6th, 2020, 1:23 am

15 feet long.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 6th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Looks like he is using oil.
I would consider PJ1 Cable lube. I believe it is silicone based and displaces moisture as well as lubricating.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”