Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1991 2557

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
up4air
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Montego 528 (2557)

1991 2557

Postby up4air » March 11th, 2018, 11:38 am

I'm still a newbie in this game and still have lots to learn.
I've discovered I've got a leak on the pressure side of my fresh water and if leaving on the power to the pump, my tank will pump dry into my bilge so got to track that down. It could be the water heater tank un in the bow but will look into further when the weather warms up. I did find, please look at pictures, under the cover in the aft cabin this conglomeration of vales and pumps. Anyone know wth these are?
Thanks so much for any info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1991 2557

Postby bud37 » March 11th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Welcome to the forum......fresh water pump, then what looks like shower drain pump......like most of us when these leaks show up you just go around with a bright light and dry towels ......put the system on and watch what leaks, could really be anything, sorry I don't have more, be patient and you will find it...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1991 2557

Postby km1125 » March 11th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Well, I see two pics of the potable water pump, one of the accumulator, one of the shower sump and the screen next to it I can't tell what that goes to, then the next one shows the screen, a thru-hull and an inline device but it's hard to tell what the in-line device is that is obscured by the wires. Could be just an unused "T", a checkvalve or something else.

That screen is probably either on the input of the potable water pump (should have one there to protect the pump from debris) or it could be connected to that thru-hull and goes to feed the water input to the head. You need to trace the hoses to find out.

Doesn't look like there is a fuse in the line that feeds the potable water pump, but there should be one there somewhere. It might just be out of the picture. The circuit breaker protects the wire, but there should be an appropriately-sized fuse just before the pump to prevent a locked-rotor from damaging the pump.

That grey plastic water tubing is notorious for cracking at the fittings and developing leaks. Put in the plan someday to replace it all with PEX, and you'll really appreciate it. I dealt with the leaks on the grey stuff for years before I finally fixed it ALL with a couple-days project to redo it all in PEX.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”