Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bottom Paint Sanding Option

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Bottom Paint Sanding Option

Postby amanphoto » March 15th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I've looked around and have not seen anyone mention this. I have a Porter Cable Drywall sander. It has an 8" sanding disk, dust containing curtain and connects to a vacuum. It has a long handle to do long sweeps across the bottom so I don't have to move as much. Has any one tried or used this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Bottom Paint Sanding Option

Postby bud37 » March 15th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Looks like it might work, bottom paint is so darn hard though, try it on the transom first....what spins the sanding disc?.......good luck man. :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
amanphoto
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: carver mariner 350

Postby amanphoto » March 15th, 2018, 8:53 pm

There head is on a gimble and moved in all directions. There is a shield that does not spin. Inside the shied there is an 8” spinning sanding disk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » March 16th, 2018, 12:20 pm

The flow of air to the vacuum is what spins it.
Had a similar type of thing many many years ago. The head would constantly clog up. I think it is designed for dust, not flakes, but looks interesting - let us know how it works out. If it does, I'll probably buy one!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 16th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Looking at the day when I will have to redo my bottom paint I think I will hire the job out. I am 68 and feel that is a job for a much younger person. Not sure when my Carver was last bottom painted but it's holding up so far.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 17th, 2018, 6:49 am

Sand off all the paint you have now and use ablative paint, you'll never have to sand again.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 17th, 2018, 6:51 am

waybomb wrote:Source of the post The flow of air to the vacuum is what spins it.....

There are some units that do that but I'm pretty sure the Porter Cable one uses an electric motor with a cable to spin the disc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 17th, 2018, 8:10 am

Bottom paint is the worst crap there is when it comes to removal. The resulting dust stains everything in sight, basically a horrible job. Been doing this my self for a couple of decades now using a full throw away suit as protective gear, man I hate this.

A few years back I tried something new, works extremely well with no dust as in nothing at all. The method is to use a hose to wet the surface down and using a rough (burgundy) scotch brite pad either hand held or in a holder like this http://www.entrepotmarinemart.com/en/sc ... -sma95-495 and then sand away. The bottom paint comes off rather easily with no dust whatsoever. Basically a wet sand. May not work as well if you have 14 coats of accumulated paint but still worth a try.

Have not tried as it worked so well by hand but using an orbital sander, water and similar scotch brite pad should work very well several coat removal.

Have also found out that ablative water based products work as well if not better not to mention they dry very quickly, do not smell at all and if you use black it is actually black and not some dark brown which most are. Been using this with fantastic result. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?na ... id=3992667
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 17th, 2018, 10:24 am

Maybe the first question to ask: Why are you sanding it?

If you're trying to remove it all, I would suggest getting it soda-blasted.

If you're just prepping for a new coat, I'd suggest using acetone and a scotchbrite pad.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 17th, 2018, 10:24 am

Totally agree Hans..even a small job creates a big mess...and after all these years doing this to various forms of success, I have realized that depending on where you are in fresh water (and that has a lot to do with it), if you don't have a lot of bottom paint that is causing a problem ,now, I just clean up the water line side areas and put ablative on there.......in reality the boat is only in for a few months a year.It is only the fish that see it :-D ......some boats up here don't put anti foul at all.
If I ever had to do it again, I would hire the guy with the soda or shell blaster...Just my opinion ,mind you... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”