Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cracks near Mariner sliding glass door

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
nhm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Cracks near Mariner sliding glass door

Postby nhm » March 21st, 2018, 8:05 am

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone who owns a mid-late 80s mariner has diagnosed or delt with cracks below the sliding glass door? Does this area tend to rot?

Thanks!

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Re: Cracks near Mariner sliding glass door

Postby mjk1040 » March 21st, 2018, 4:42 pm

Can't tell you if this area rots out or not, We didn't own our '86 Mariner that long. I'm sure someone here will be able to chime in on that because there are a few Mariner owners on here a lot. However I would suggest getting a gel coat repair kit and try and seal these areas the best you can to prevent any further damage. It appears someone has in the past on the left side of the photo.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 21st, 2018, 7:09 pm

Welcome aboard.

To be repaired properly so that you're not revisiting reappearing cracks all the time, you need to find out the underlying cause. First and foremost, to repair properly, don't simply fill the cracks as they are with anything. If you do they will reappear. You must grind down to the fiberglass and check to see if the fiberglass itself is cracked. This will also allow for a better repair/bond. I would take a moisture reading in the area, and if I felt it necessary, I would drill a hole on the top of the trough to check the core. If the core is bad, a gel repair, even a proper one will be very temporary as it won't correct the underlying problem, and while the repaired area may last a while, it's likely other areas will start to crack as well. The core can get wet here if the track didn't get sealed properly or the seal has failed. Hopefully the worst case scenario that I've painted is not the case here. Fingers crossed.

Is this boat new to you?

nhm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nhm » March 21st, 2018, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I don't own the boat, but am considering making an offer on it. I have a surveyor lined up to take a look at it if I decide to make an offer, but I wanted to get a sense from other owners if this is something common with mariners this age (and have worked on fixing it). As you said, probably worth trying to figure out why it happened in the first place!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 21st, 2018, 8:54 pm

Also welcome.....your surveyor should be able to check the underlying strata out for you....lots of times cracks like that form where there has been stress at a joint or between two areas that are flexing, quite repairable if done properly. Good luck man........... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

nhm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nhm » March 21st, 2018, 9:13 pm

Thanks! The broker said something similar about suspecting flexing being a potential culprit. Out of curiosity is that dark spot on the side a weep hole or something? it almost looks like this is a channel for water to run down to the stern cockpit, but I don't really understand what the intent of the design was.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 22nd, 2018, 8:08 am

A little off topic but based on what you wrote in the other thread about mariners/santegos, I thought it might be worth mentioning that there is a Santego model about an 89 if I remember correctly,one year only config which gives you the top hat stringers, centre bed,larger side windows,the nice big bridge and an extra small cabin with bunks.

It is the larger and wider 38' though, sorry can't remember the model number.That was my choice but the only one I found was overpriced for the condition. :cry:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

nhm
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby nhm » March 22nd, 2018, 8:29 am

Hi Bud37,

I know exactly the model you are talking about! It was originally the 3867 that later became the 640. There was a pretty nice one local here that sold 5 months ago and I missed it! :banghead: One just was put under contract in Florida and there's another up in NY which may be the one you mentioned that is overpriced. They are pretty rare but seem to show up every once and a while.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » March 22nd, 2018, 9:01 am

http://galahadmarine.com/inventory/1989 ... d-6391587/

Here is a 380 for sale if that's something you are looking for.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 22nd, 2018, 9:19 am

nhm wrote:Source of the post Hi Bud37,

I know exactly the model you are talking about! It was originally the 3867 that later became the 640. There was a pretty nice one local here that sold 5 months ago and I missed it! :banghead: One just was put under contract in Florida and there's another up in NY which may be the one you mentioned that is overpriced. They are pretty rare but seem to show up every once and a while.

Yup I remember now, it was a 90 3867 double cabin, and sorry the bed is to the side.......geesh, we looked at so many you lose track after a while......the one we tried to buy was very nice BUT needed a repower and every hose in that boat was dry cracked...I would have done it for the right price though......good luck with your search....... :popcorn:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”