Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

CO Detectors

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: CO Detectors

Postby buster53 » April 20th, 2018, 8:32 pm

So here's what I'm going to do.
I have 3, AGM, group 31 batteries. 2 for the house and 1 for the genset. Not sure why anyone would use a group 31, AGM for the genset.
Anyway, 1 house is dead. I'm going to use the genset battery for the dead one and get a new starting battery for the genset. Maybe, I still have a couple years on the 2 good ones.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 20th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Sounds like a plan......if you have the manual for the gen and want to read something humorous ...check out the spec for the required CCA for the gen engine..hint its lower than you might think.... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 20th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Buster, as viper mentioned, the charger should have settings for agm or flooded batteries. Either or but not both. You may want to have all three of the same type.
I would also consider a load test on the two good ones (free at most any battery retailer). If they don't pass, go to flooded for all three.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » April 20th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post
Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Flooded is the best IMHO. I paid dearly for an all AGM house bank several years back, after 2 years they hardly kept a charge. The place where I purchased them from replaced them with new wet cell (flooded) batteries not even blinking an eye or any questions asked which says a lot. IMHO, AGM is not well suited for a house bank unless you plunk down thousands on a rolls brand. Tried and true flooded will last at least 5 years and are the cheapest out there.

BINGO!
You can't beat the value of the regular flooded batteries. If the AGMs lasted 2-3 times longer than a typical flooded battery then they'd be worth it but I haven't found that to be the case yet with current technology.

Dang it. I was all set to go with AGM’s. May still go with them with the firefly 3 4 volt setup. Seems like the smallest amount of space for 400 amp hours. Real dilemma. May punt and get a local abc electrician come tell me what he will charge me. I am sure he has seen a lot of configurations. If I had more space I could just add wetcells til I had enough.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » April 20th, 2018, 10:45 pm

buster53 wrote:Source of the post So here's what I'm going to do.
I have 3, AGM, group 31 batteries. 2 for the house and 1 for the genset. Not sure why anyone would use a group 31, AGM for the genset.
Anyway, 1 house is dead. I'm going to use the genset battery for the dead one and get a new starting battery for the genset. Maybe, I still have a couple years on the 2 good ones.

Good to hear you located the problem!

United States of America
PhilH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Californian 45 M/Y, 1990 Cat 3208 diesels

Postby PhilH » April 21st, 2018, 1:37 am

My detectors seem to be self powered, and independant throughout the boat (a 45 Californian) Does anyone know if these came hard wired?

Topic author United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 21st, 2018, 7:33 am

tomschauer wrote:Buster, as viper mentioned, the charger should have settings for agm or flooded batteries. Either or but not both. You may want to have all three of the same type.
I would also consider a load test on the two good ones (free at most any battery retailer). If they don't pass, go to flooded for all three.

As suggested, I will confirm my charger setup before doing anything. I would love to buy just one new starting battery for the genset, but it sounds like I either buy one new AGM or 3 new flooded batteries. If I must, I'm leaning towards the 3 new flooded batteries and putting my 2 good AGM's on Craigslist.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 21st, 2018, 7:49 am

So since you have considered just replacing the gen start....sure why not.....just don't connect the charger to it.....the gen will charge its own battery and in awhile when you replace the AGM's with flooded then you could reconnect the charger if that is something needed....For what its worth I powered up my gen with a utility battery all last year with no problems at all......... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 21st, 2018, 7:55 am

To add.....maybe when comes time to go to the flooded maybe consider a nicely sized house bank separate from the engine start etc......its easy for us to spend your money heh.... :-D

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 21st, 2018, 8:56 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post So since you have considered just replacing the gen start....sure why not.....just don't connect the charger to it.....the gen will charge its own battery and in awhile when you replace the AGM's with flooded then you could reconnect the charger if that is something needed....For what its worth I powered up my gen with a utility battery all last year with no problems at all......... :down:

I like this suggestion. I also don't understand why folks use a group 31 for a genset. Those motors are what, like 30hp?? Can't be much to start that thing and still have plenty of reserve left over.

You could also get a low-cost marine charger (5A or less) and wire it to the genset. That's an additional redundancy so you always have the genset isolated from all the other electrical so you can start it to power the big charger that feeds everything else.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”