Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

CO Detectors

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: CO Detectors

Postby Midnightsun » April 14th, 2018, 8:11 pm

They are powered with an EOL (end of life) battery which lasts 5-7 years and then they start chirping. The newer ones are toast and must be discarded. The older ones had no EOL however new laws requires them to shut down automatically. You should do the same with the older types as the sensors only last anywhere between 5-10 years depending on the brand and method of detection. I see no issue whatsoever going with a household unit for 1/3 the price. The only real difference is maybe a conformal coating which will not affect anyone who is a in fresh water environment IMHO. My Xintex (Marine) units are due to be changed however the model is discontinued. This is what replaces them. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fireboy- ... --18023986

Xintex also makes the exact same size and looking unit for home use which I assume has no conformal coating. Priced for home use. I will most likely use these instead. https://www.ebay.com/itm/302595336933

Here is an example of a 10 year EOL unit for home use which looks strangely similar to the older Xintex units.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 14th, 2018, 9:53 pm

I was just talking to a rep last week and he insists there IS a big difference between a marine and household unit. Beyond the coatings are component differences, they're higher end with tighter tolerances that come with a few advantages including the ability to deal with temperature extremes and still achieve their designed life span and accurate detection ability. How old is your boat and how old were the detectors when you finally had to replace them? While household units will work, they'll have a shortened life span in a marine environment and may lose the critical ability to detect CO at a certain threshold. It's doubtful they'll last as long as a marine unit will. They may have the same housing but that doesn't mean they're built the same, it's just one less thing to fabricate that way. Some marine units also incorporate learning software to deal with minute CO levels that are unique to and differ from boat to boat that can otherwise cause nuisance alarms.

I also like the fact that the marine ones hooked up to the 12 volt system chirp in low voltage conditions. This acts as an alarm in itself, warning you, other boaters around you, and the marina that there is something wrong. I can't count the number of times I've heard low voltage alarms from CO detectors that have precipitated contacting the owner and boarding the vessel to correct the problem before something major happens where power could prevent a sinking. For the difference in price, a marine unit is totally worth it IMO.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 15th, 2018, 6:02 am

I dug a little deeper into the Xintex home units which look identical to the marine ones. The description says they are tested to UL2034 which when googled comes up with.

These requirements cover electrically operated single and multiple station carbon monoxide (CO) alarms intended for protection in ordinary indoor locations of dwelling units, including recreational vehicles, mobile homes, and recreational boats with enclosed accommodation spaces and cockpit areas.
;-)

FYI, the marine units are also tested to the same spec. Here is the UL2034 spec or a least the scope. They want a couple of thousand dollars for the entire spec. https://standardscatalog.ul.com/standar ... ndard_2034
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 15th, 2018, 10:44 am

Both applications adhere to the same standard but that doesn't mean they're built the same, not according to the rep anyway.

Topic author United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 18th, 2018, 10:24 am

Well, it looks like I have a dead battery. I will double check to make sure it is dead and not just a bad connection.
The boat came with AGM's but there is no kind of date stamp on the top like we usually see on batteries, so we have no idea how old they are.
I'm going to replace them with deep cell group 31's. I'm going with flooded, not AGM.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 18th, 2018, 10:44 am

FYI..you probably know but I will mention it for all.......if you change to flooded, good idea to check your charger settings afterwards.....What I said about the monitors still stands though.....good luck with it man and be safe...... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 18th, 2018, 11:18 am

Flooded is the best IMHO. I paid dearly for an all AGM house bank several years back, after 2 years they hardly kept a charge. The place where I purchased them from replaced them with new wet cell (flooded) batteries not even blinking an eye or any questions asked which says a lot. IMHO, AGM is not well suited for a house bank unless you plunk down thousands on a rolls brand. Tried and true flooded will last at least 5 years and are the cheapest out there.
Last edited by Midnightsun on April 18th, 2018, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 18th, 2018, 11:45 am

bud37 wrote:FYI..you probably know but I will mention it for all.......if you change to flooded, good idea to check your charger settings afterwards.....What I said about the monitors still stands though.....good luck with it man and be safe...... :beergood:

Thanks for reminding me of that. Completely skipped my mind.

Agree with midnightsun...flooded is the best bang for my buck.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Midnightsun wrote:Source of the post Flooded is the best IMHO. I paid dearly for an all AGM house bank several years back, after 2 years they hardly kept a charge. The place where I purchased them from replaced them with new wet cell (flooded) batteries not even blinking an eye or any questions asked which says a lot. IMHO, AGM is not well suited for a house bank unless you plunk down thousands on a rolls brand. Tried and true flooded will last at least 5 years and are the cheapest out there.

BINGO!
You can't beat the value of the regular flooded batteries. If the AGMs lasted 2-3 times longer than a typical flooded battery then they'd be worth it but I haven't found that to be the case yet with current technology.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 18th, 2018, 11:37 pm

I agree, I tried Johnson controls AGM batteries on a HydraSport 25WA a few years back. I was not impressed. They cost 2+x of flooded batteries and I got three years out of them. This was a fishing boat with no house load.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”