Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sherwood e35 pump bearing

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Sherwood e35 pump bearing

Postby MakinTime » April 14th, 2018, 8:57 am

Hey guys finally have the chance to tear into my Sherwood pumps. Putting new impellers and cams in for sure. The port side pump has some side to side play when the end cap is off, but the bearing is smooth and seal does not leak, is this something to be concerned about? The starboard pump has zero play and is smooth.

Here are some pics..

Thanks much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Sherwood e35 pump bearing

Postby Viper » April 14th, 2018, 9:56 am

It'll just wear faster now and at an exponential rate so it's just a matter of time before it fails. You don't want that to happen on a trip so it's best that you repair it properly now before reinstalling the pump. If the bearing is tight but you're getting lateral movement between the pump housing and the race, it'll either be a worn race on its outer surface that mates with the pump or the pump housing is worn, or both. You'll need to inspect the bore carefully to determine if you need a new pump or not.

MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » April 14th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Thanks for the input viper. I’m considering going with the Johnson f6 crank driven pump with the cost of about $140 per pump,plus brackets vs $130 per pump to rebuild the Sherwood’s. Anyone run these pumps?

MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » April 14th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Having a hard time finding the correct pump bracket for the Johnson f6 pump for big block.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 14th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I have seen them, couple different styles, just can't remember where......I do remember thinking the bracket would be easy to fab up from steel or aluminium flat bar , that is for the bar that stabilizes the pump correct ?
I think some don't use the bracket at all, the hoses hold it still, but IMO the bracket is a good thing...
One thing I will say , I have always liked the older rebuildable brass/ bronze pump bodies.

Let us know how it goes as I am considering doing the same thing, so its on you.. ;-) .

May have found it....http://inetmarine.com/MP308800RawWaterP ... 7481L.aspx
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » April 15th, 2018, 7:15 am

It is the bracket to stablize the pump itself, yep that looks like the bracket you linked there. From what I can see that bracket mounts to the starboard side of the engine and puts the pump inlets facing port side I need them facing the other way...I wonder if that style bracket could just be flipped around? Otherwise making my own is fine but I kinda just want to bolt it up and run, to many other projects going on!

United States of America
throwback2
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver 28 Voyager,twin small blocks,1991 Shamrock,350 Chevy now.
1973 Atlantic Craft 15, 2004 2 smoke Merc 40,
and a few other water toys

Postby throwback2 » April 15th, 2018, 10:18 am

I have Mercruiser inboards and converted to Johnson crank driven pumps. Nothing short of awesome,easy to change impellers,no belts to change/adjust and 5 years of service now. IMO a no brainer

MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » April 15th, 2018, 11:08 am

From what I have seen is that style bracket has a rubber bushing that goes thru the end then gets bolted to the pump. But not entirely sure.

MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MakinTime » April 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Throwback..what did you use for a bracket to secure the pump?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 15th, 2018, 11:18 am

There are a couple of different brackets depending on the pump. Some pumps simply sit in a cup on the bracket while others are bolted to the bracket. You may also want to check Sherwood, they also have crank mount units.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”