Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Electronic Ignition

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Electronic Ignition

Postby RGrew176 » April 27th, 2018, 4:25 am

As it shows in my profile I have a 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin. It is powered by twin 270 Crusaders. Both engines are still powered by the original points/plugs ignition system. I am contemplating conversion over to an electronic system.

If I make the conversion what kinds of performance enhancements may I realize. Reason for considering this is a friend of mine who has a 37" Chris Craft Commander converted his over in 2017. In August we hold our I-LYA Powerboat Regatta at Put in Bay Ohio. I chair an event called the Flying Mile.

In simple terms you open your boat up to WOT and we measure your top speed with a radar gun. In 2016 with his old points system he ran 23 MPH top end. Last year he ran 29 MPH. After the event I asked him what he did to make his boat 6 MPH faster. He said the only thing he did was convert to electronic ignition. He says his boat performs much better. Is a little bit better on fuel and of course the increase in top end speed.

If I make the conversion too, and I am seriously considering it what performance enhancements could I expect to receive in return? Just curious. I am looking at a $1200 cost to convert.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Electronic Ignition

Postby bud37 » April 27th, 2018, 5:54 am

Good morning Rick....To pin it down a bit, ask your friend with the Chris if he got brand new distributors as part of the package, that may account for timing accuracy which could have given him the big change...are new distributors part of the package you are considering ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 27th, 2018, 6:51 am

I kind of doubt the increase in speed was due to the conversion to electronic distributors alone. I suspect there were other variables that played a larger role such as timing like bud suggests, wear in the old distributor, bottom conditions, water conditions, weight, wind, etc. etc. You may see some measurable enhancement with test equipment but that's probably it, and a new mechanical distributor will give you that as well if your current one is worn. I think where you'll see the biggest improvement is easier starting and maintenance; you won't have to periodically check and replace points and condensers, and the chances of timing changes due to points wear will be minimized. Having said that, timing should still be checked every time you replace ignition components during your maintenance schedule for these components. It's a good conversion conversion for the reasons given above though.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 27th, 2018, 10:01 am

I did this about 20 years ago on my Crusaders. I agree with the others, that there really won't be a performance increase unless there is/was already an underlying issue with your current distributors. One of the biggest issues would be worn or stuck mechanical advance, which is what I would guess was affecting your friends boat. Once he changed to the new distributors, he got the full advance the engines were designed to run at near rated RPM. At idle he the timing was set to spec so he probably didn't notice much of an issue.

I would encourage the change. The inconvenience of replacing and setting points and resetting timing every few years is something I don't miss. For several years, I'd instead use that time every other year to just open the engine compartment and sit back have have a brew or two just admiring those new distributors. For several years I also carried both the old distributors on board just in case the electronic ones flaked out.... back then they didn't have much of a reliable track record!!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » April 27th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Whoooo boy, would that be something picking up 26% in speed going points to electronic.

If everything was correct with points - dwell, advance, timing, plugs, wires, etc, the change to a breakerless would have no effect at running. Maybe at starting and ease of maintenance, but not running.

Points and breakerless do the same thing - simply open and close the circuit to the primary side of the coil. Ya just gotta do it at the right time!

I'd say prior to his change, his ignition system was way out of whack.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 28th, 2018, 1:51 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Good morning Rick....To pin it down a bit, ask your friend with the Chris if he got brand new distributors as part of the package, that may account for timing accuracy which could have given him the big change...are new distributors part of the package you are considering ?

Yes, new distributors, coil, wiring and something else he said that was in the kit. I know it can be done with some of the current stuff but I am going all new if and when I make the upgrade.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 28th, 2018, 10:59 am

RGrew176 wrote:Source of the post
bud37 wrote:Source of the post Good morning Rick....To pin it down a bit, ask your friend with the Chris if he got brand new distributors as part of the package, that may account for timing accuracy which could have given him the big change...are new distributors part of the package you are considering ?

Yes, new distributors, coil, wiring and something else he said that was in the kit. I know it can be done with some of the current stuff but I am going all new if and when I make the upgrade.

Good, that is the only way to do it properly.....honestly Rick we made gobs of horsepower with good points distributors back in the day, but I do understand that things wear out and nobody has distributor machines anymore ( still wish I had mine )....there is or was a guy near Detroit that is selling refurbished Sun machines.... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 28th, 2018, 3:49 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post ... nobody has distributor machines anymore .....

Ah but there is one guy I know ;-)

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”