Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Voyager 570 Props

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
voy570ager
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 570

Voyager 570 Props

Postby voy570ager » May 1st, 2018, 4:05 pm

Hey guys,

Just had a sand bar come at me at 25kts and ground my boat. I didn't see it coming. yes ha ha

My props have been worked a lot and I may need new props.. Volvo d-12's

I had 4 blade ZF 29 X 32.2 with a slight cup..I got 2370 rpms and WOT speed was 27.3 kts/31.4 MPH

wondering what props you are using on your boat and what number are you getting.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Voyager 570 Props

Postby Viper » May 2nd, 2018, 6:38 am

Welcome aboard.
I can't help you with performance data but a good prop shop should be able to help you get into the performance curve you're looking for based on your application. You can also contact Carver and discuss your needs with their tech department. At the very least they should be able to provide you with the specs for the original props and how the vessel performed with them.

Topic author United States of America
voy570ager
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 570

Postby voy570ager » May 4th, 2018, 9:52 am

No one else has done any tweeking with their props?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 4th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Hopefully someone with the same model will chime in.

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 1st, 2018, 5:41 am

What did you figure out with your props? I have a similar issue with my 530. I have 610 Volvos. Currently have ZF 29X32.2 that have been flattened to 29.5. Factory props were 28X32.2. Currently 2210 rpm @ 24.5 Kts. 18 @ 18 cruise. Seems like my props have been flattened out way more than they should've. I want to start fresh with new...
Does anyone know what prop works good on these older 530s with the 122 Volvos?
Please forgive me if I'm using this forum wrong, I'm new. Thanks.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 3rd, 2018, 5:57 pm

Alaska 530 - you're using the forum exactly right. I am thinking Voy570 did not get a lot of interaction because prop tweaking can get very little actual ROI in the pleasure boating world. Have you contacted Carver for any explanation of excessive wear on props for 530's? They are extremely helpful, and maintain logs on how their boats are performing. You may want to consider nibral props and go back to the 28" size. Nibral is harder than straight brass, therefore not as much flex. Should maintain cupping better also. When boat mfg determine which props to outfit the vessel, they try to determine the "average" user, and lay that up against the capacity for shafts, transmissions, etc. Of course, nobody is the average boater. Before you tweak to alternative metals, check with Carver to make sure the drive train components will stand up. Good luck!
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 4th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Thank you for the response. My props are Nibral but the boat has a vibration, or more like a shaft wobble, that I asume is a bent prop. Had it since I bought the boat in 2011. I lost a shaft seal due to water circulation loss, so sent the port shaft and prop to machine shop to check for true since I had them off anyway. Machine shop found bent prop and said they straightened it. They do good work but I later learned from prop shop in Seattle that I prob did more damage than good by having non-marine machine shop touch my prop. Prop shop ran numbers on my current ZF'S and learned that they have been flattened way beyond recommended specs. We have very little resources here so sending my props out for measurements and tuning will cost major time. Many other reasons too so was really hoping someone may see this that has tech data on best props for the larger engine package 530s. I'm sure the factory props are way too much for the now older and heavier girl but I will definitely call the factory like you suggested. I'd like to have the new props on hand for a quick change in the spring.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » December 5th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Here is a direct number for a really good guy at Carver. Don't tell him where you got his number, but he is really helpful and will get you to a tech that will help you with a great decision. 920-822-7248 Jeff
That vibration is something you want to figure out. If previous owner hit something hard, with Nibral props, that energy could have transferred to the shaft pretty quick. Did you check for misalignment at engine? Good luck! Cooler
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » December 5th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Thanks! I'll give him a call. I checked alignment and made some adjustments. No change.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 9th, 2018, 10:47 pm

We had a boat with an odd slight vibration on one side...never found it, props done , engines aligned, shafts dialed,cutlass ok.......maybe they have some better alignment tools now ( lasers maybe ), hard to say.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”