Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Vacuflush help and advise

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Vacuflush help and advise

Postby denpooch » May 3rd, 2018, 6:56 pm

Hey folks.
I did the 'shake down' cruise today and she is running great. I have my fingers crossed for the season.
However, two things did come up and for this I could use your guidance.
The most important item is the Vacuflush. It was working when we went out this morning and this afternoon when I went to use it there was no vacuum. When I step on the lever to flush the water pump activates but the vacuum motor does not. I tried switching the main and individual electric head switches on the panel a couple of times but to no avail. The motor seems to have stopped working for some reason. I have heard that these are very reliable systems so I am scratching my head. Why just stop? Mechanical or electrical?
I am thinking that perhaps there is an issue with the DC panel because the stereo decided to stop working this season.
I did notice that early on, however figured I would get around to it as this was lower on the priority list.
Do you think there may be something going on with the panel? Are these switches fuses or fused? I really don't know anything about it.
Any insights and troubleshooting guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Vacuflush help and advise

Postby bud37 » May 3rd, 2018, 7:38 pm

Here is a simple thing that has happened to me in the past in the spring..now it occurs to me you have a much newer system which may not even have this type of setup, anyway......at the one end of the vac tank ( the white football looking tank before the vacuum pump ) is a vacuum switch under a cover, it has gotten stuck for whatever reason , if you could just tap it a bit sometimes that may be enough to get it....it may just be electrical but I thought to just relay that one as its free ...... good luck man.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 3rd, 2018, 9:13 pm

There should be an in-line fuse right at the pump motor. It's an easy check before you get into anything more complicated.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 3rd, 2018, 10:36 pm

And to expand on Vipers comment, if the fuse is good, check for voltage at the fuse, especially if you suspect 12v problems with you boat.

On another note, if you think you have problems with your electrical system, you should check it out or have checked out ASAP.

Nothing worse then letting the smoke out of the wires!!!!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 4th, 2018, 5:56 am

Apart from the electrical panel breaker switch there may be a "sleep" switch located at the head. Mine is right beside my light and blower switch beside the sink and look the same except for the indicators so it could easily be switched off when going for the light switch.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » May 4th, 2018, 10:36 am

Thank you to everyone for your thinking. I knew that you would 'come through' for me.
This morning I woke up with a 'Eureka'.
Before going to the boat I checked in with the forum and noted that I had the same thought as Midnightsun. Arriving at the boat I turned on the DC main and heard the electric head start to vacuum. Ok... so I am thinking that maybe a fuse reset or something or other.
I tried flushing and nothing...
Now I am thinking CLOG, and sure enough, that was the problem!
I learned something new today. A clog will continue to maintain a vacuum in the system and give one the impression that the unit is not functioning properly.
Phew!
Now onto the stereo.
Thanks again.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 4th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Good catch, thanks for posting........ :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Bentone23
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin
454 xls EFI

Postby Bentone23 » November 10th, 2018, 1:27 am

I found out the hard way that Charmin extra soft 2 ply paper should NEVER be used on board. I had to unclog both my heads. The clogs were right at the entrance of the accumulator (that big white thing). Now I am an expert at Vacuflush systems!
Bruce Bennett
Bentone23@sbcglobal.net
1996 355 Aft Cabin
Central California
Boating on the Delta and SF Bay

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”